Is this a Goni?

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a new coral piece. I ordered a “Laffy Taffy” Goni from a vendor online and this is what was sent. It’s looked like this since Friday when I added it to my tank. Does this look like a Goni that just hasn’t extended? I only have one other Goni and it doesn’t look anything like this. Just wanted to get R2R thoughts before reaching out to the vendor.

IMG_4605.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg

OP
OP
waterboys

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a new coral piece. I ordered a “Laffy Taffy” Goni from a vendor online and this is what was sent. It’s looked like this since Friday when I added it to my tank. Does this look like a Goni that just hasn’t extended? I only have one other Goni and it doesn’t look anything like this. Just wanted to get R2R thoughts before reaching out to the vendor.

IMG_4605.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg
This is what the online picture looked like so I’m guessing it’s the right piece and it just hasn’t extended.

If it looks right, how long might it stay “hidden” like it is?

IMG_4608.jpeg

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4605.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg
Favia?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It looks like an irritated Goni. Too much flow/not enough flow/too much light? Those can keep them from extending. What was the source water pH/alkalinity vs yours?

Were there other corals in the same shipment? I'm assuming they're happy if so?

OP
OP
waterboys

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an irritated Goni. Too much flow/not enough flow/too much light? Those can keep them from extending. What was the source water pH/alkalinity vs yours?

Were there other corals in the same shipment? I'm assuming they're happy if so?
I’m not sure about their water but I can reach out. My pH was 8.4 and my Alk was 9.1 a week ago and I’ll check it again tomorrow.

There were two other items. A Zoa and a BTA. Both appear to be doing well.

Should I try moving it to see if it’s the flow/light or give it another day or two?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis can be temperamental . I’ve had unhappy ones, moved them a few inches and suddenly happy. As far as flow and light I’ve got them in all conditions. Some are in PAR as low as 125 and I’ve got others in PAR of 280 or so. But moderate random flow is best in any case.

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took about a week for my first Goni to open. The other two Gonies I have, opened in about a day or so. They are definitely temperamental. Once it opens, you will not be disappointed.
Goni.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to what others have mentioned, in my opinion the goni doesn’t look like it will extend much currently if that’s fully extended in the vendor pic. Something to keep in mind.

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a Goni, I would let it settle in a bit more, if it still doesn't open you can try moving it. It may not be liking the light or flow. Be patient though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back