Is this a good type of Macro Algae?

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone advise about this macro Algae if good for nitrates control? This is not found in you tube videos.

18DDA116-C942-4A28-B14B-676EDCA03459.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anadyomene cavernosa does not seem to a be a species listed anywhere outside Marine Plants in the Aquarium, but I am convinced that the macroalgae pictured is actually called Dictyosphaeria cavernosa. Dictyosphaeria cavernosa seems to be very hardy, but, like Valonia, can become invasive when its spore-containing membranes rupture.

Information:
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2009

Dictyosphaeria cavernosa:
1645206146375.png

1645206665442.png

@Ghost25 legally brought some Dictyosphaeria from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. back in November. I am not sure if they still have it, though:
1645206506482.png

OP
OP
T

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this big macro algae a good type? I am referring to the tall one.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.MOV
    25.2 MB

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this big macro algae a good type? I am referring to the tall one.
I appears to be a member of the family Sargassaceae, such as Cystoseira or Stephanocystis (though it is likely that it may belong to a different genus in this family). While not necessary undesirable, this algae requires very intense lighting and flow (as it grows in tidal areas) which make it difficult to care for.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone advise about this macro Algae if good for nitrates control? This is not found in you tube videos.

18DDA116-C942-4A28-B14B-676EDCA03459.jpeg
Nope, on this one! I tried it in one of my tidepool tanks. will quickly spread. It was cool to watch, started out like a bubble algae and they would grow into one another and create a bigger bubble. I had to hand remove it all and then allow the other macros out compete. One of those "others" was Sargassum but then those seed pods started getting all over, but then my wavy top snail ate all of them. Now I have no macro in that display and have to put in a piece of kelp a couple times a week.

OP
OP
T

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, on this one! I tried it in one of my tidepool tanks. will quickly spread. It was cool to watch, started out like a bubble algae and they would grow into one another and create a bigger bubble. I had to hand remove it all and then allow the other macros out compete. One of those "others" was Sargassum but then those seed pods started getting all over, but then my wavy top snail ate all of them. Now I have no macro in that display and have to put in a piece of kelp a couple times a week.
Thanks, I will remove it asap.

Back