Is this a pest on my Candy Cane?

mike_

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed two heads right next to each other starting to recede.

I cut one off the other day and it exposed this red stuff I can't identify.

It looks kind of like the color of coralline algae, but is semi-transparent.

The head that it is on is receding near the substance in question, and the one i removed would have been right on the other side of it (where the hermit crab is in the photo)

candy cane coral pest.png
 
did it move there, or has it been growing there? If moving it could be a large flatworm, but i think that looks like a pink type of sponge just growing on the skeleton
 
If its the sponge it is usually harmless and you can remove it if it starts bothering the coral later
 
Appears to be a sponge. I had a similar one on a frogspawn. It didn’t seem to bother it but I scraped it off just to be safe.
 
i just removed the affected head and inspected it.

it was some type of slimy, muscusy substance that has been growing there.

i wasn't not able to see it until now since it was being blocked by a head that was growing in front of it (where the hermit crab shell is in the photo)

the other day I removed that head since it was also receding due to close proximity to what I think is some kind of fungus
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new