Is this a predatory whelk?

  • Thread starter Thread starter salty joe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

salty joe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
684
Location
Medina, Oh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 1 1/2".

1723340425354.png


1723340458482.png


1723340495022.png
 
I have never seen a nassarius that big, so maybe? When it’s snout comes out, is it black, or multi colored, like tattoo looking? @ISpeakForTheSeas would be able to say
 
Sort of yes and sort of no at this point - it seems to be the Olive Whelk, Nassarius olivaceus, which is reportedly predatory, but there's no evidence at present (at least not that I've seen) that they hunt live/healthy critters (or that they're capable of taking a healthy critter down) - the only study I've been able to find actually discussing specifics about its diet mentioned that it did not eat a few specific live critters (including oysters):
Yeah, there's an unfortunate lack of info on N. oliveaceus' diet - I've seen it referred to as a predator in scholarly articles and I've seen numerous references from hobbyists/businesses, but looking at it, I don't think I've seen any evidence yet (scholarly or otherwise) of them taking live prey (which would be consistent with the rest of the genus).

Personally, at this point, I'm hesitant to say that it killed your shrimp, but I wouldn't be surprised to find if it's more aggressive of an opportunistic carnivore than other members of the genus (if for no other reason than its size).
 
snout is black
If snout is black, sounds like a nassarius, which is great to have, I just have never seen one that big. Can you keep it in some water , but out of your tank until you get a definitive answer? @ISpeakForTheSeas would be able to say with some certainty.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new