Is this a really good sign or really bad sign???

Jordan Pascuzzi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have finally cycled our take and added in livestock after a horrible melt down last year... I bought my husband (any myself) new lights for Christmas and we have been adding livestock since...

Other than some pesky cyano, our tank has been really healthy. We added some things about a week or two ago and set the lights to acclimate mode...my husband noticed a few days ago that our lights hadn't returned to normal intensity so he went ahead and bumped it up. WELL... everything looks SO good. The new and old corals are happy, we're finally seeing growth from the corals we added in early January, the nems are open and soo huge, our clowns are hosting in one BTA, and appear to be pairing. So here's the issue...

Multiple things are splitting!! I know this is either a good sign or a bad sign... I want to believe it's good but since a few things are splitting I'm worried the light is stressing them?? Is it possible for them to look awesome and still be stressed?

our RBTA split into 2 long stringy guys. We have a Florida orange mushroom that has another small mouth developing, and our green BTA is reallly starting to stretch and show his foot so I think it may be splitting too! Please let me know what you think! I'm still learning so ANY advice would be appreciated... I'm questioning coral placement now that the BTAs are splitting and spreading.

currently have...

2 bullethole clowns
1 watchman goby
1 green clown goby
1 scooter blenny
1 peppermint shrimp
1 horse shoe crab
2 (just split) RBTA
1 GBTA
1 duncan
1 florida orange shrooms
4ish green shrooms
small green zoa colony
orange leptastrea frag
pink xenias
GSP on back glass & small rock
violet cespitularia
hollywood stunner chalice

IMG_3116.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running the lights at? Parameters?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely good sign and light response.
What lights are they assuming they’re kessils

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else said we need to know your PAR values. Splitting can be a good or bad sign. Corals do it when they are under stress or when things are going great. In your case which one is happening is hard to say without more data.
The fact that you are seeing more growth makes me believe it's a positive event and they just needed more light, but it would still be nice to know for sure.

OP
OP
Jordan Pascuzzi

Jordan Pascuzzi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 Kessil a360we and they're currently running at 65%. Water is good, calcium was a tiny bit high before water change but I don't remember the exact values! nitrates were 10ppm. Our LFS said other than calcium being a smidge high our water is great. Sorry for the delay in response, I stopped stressing when everything was looking good! The RBTA that split looks so good now and nothing else has split. Thanks for your replies!

Back