Is this a shelless hermit living in my rocks...?

Cpants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i was feeding my tank, tonight i notcied this in the rocks. Im not sure if its a hermit crab or something else. Picture quality apology, it's from a video capture.
VideoCapture_20230307-191649.jpg
Screenshot_20230307_191902_Gallery.jpg

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just an exoskeleton leftover from a molt

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like a porcelain crab claw. If it has a couple of pom poms that it uses to grab food from the water column then you’ll know for sure.

OP
OP
C

Cpants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like a porcelain crab claw. If it has a couple of pom poms that it uses to grab food from the water column then you’ll know for sure.
No pompoms. In the pictures, you can kind of see the claws. Just above the rock in the second one. And in the middle, just to the right of the long white leg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics would be helpful, but there are a few species of sessile, shell-less hermit crabs (these typically use things like corals or tubeworm tubes as their shells), so it's possible. Some examples include: Discorsopagurus spp. and hermits from the genus Paguritta.

OP
OP
C

Cpants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics would be helpful, but there are a few species of sessile, shell-less hermit crabs (these typically use things like corals or tubeworm tubes as their shells), so it's possible. Some examples include: Discorsopagurus spp. and hermits from the genus Paguritta.
I didntneven think to tweak the lights. I'll have to remember that next time I see it. Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back