Is This Acceptable From New Custom Tank?

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a custom made rimless tank from a well known tank builder and upon taking off the packaging noticed several defects. I wanted folks' opinion on whether this is acceptable...

1. The top rim of the front glass panel does not look to be 'finished'. Compared to the other low-iron glass rims, this looks hazy and unfinished. Tried to polish it with a micofiber cloth and nothing changed.
  2. There are bubbles in the silicone (some bead like and some thin and long). They are most prevalent where the vertical glass panels meet the bottom panel. There are a good amount of bubbles one two of the three view-able sides of the tank. I think there were at least 5 bubbles per side (each side being a ~24" length).
  3. There is a ~2" scratch on the corner of the tank.
  4. There is this mysterious white marking all along the front of the tank on the bottom where the tank meets the ABS like reinforced material. There is a definite pattern. Looks almost like teeth on a roll of tape. Tried to rub this off without results. Almost looks like it's etched into the glass?
This is a relatively small tank so I think that's a consideration as well (30"x 25" x 12"). These issues become more noticeable and relevant for me.

Thoughts? Am I being too **nal about these details? Or am I being a responsible buyer?

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
odd white marking on glass with teeth pattern
20190211_135241.jpg

bubbles and horizontal scratch
20190211_135034.jpg

more bubbles
20190211_135043.jpg

Hazy, unfinished glass rim on top
20190211_135219.jpg

Normal, finished glass rim for reference on a different panel
20190211_135224.jpg

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, some bubbles in the silicone wouldn't bother me too much. Hard to tell what parts some of the pictures show. Is pic 4 the top of the tank?
Yep picture #4 is the top of the tank. It stood out to me because the other two glass rims on the top of the tank were nice and smooth while this one had this odd haze and unfinished look. I tried to 'buff' it with a microfiber cloth without result.

The last picture is one of the two good panels for reference.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to name any names right now, but the tank builder also builds showroom tanks for some of the major aquarium equipment brands we are very well aware of. Hope this gives a sense of 'expected' build quality.

I could easily see someone saying "you get what you pay for". But the tank wasn't built by some random guy on craigslist.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles like that wont cause any issues.. i have a 40 year old 135g thst has bubbles like that and micro bubbles in the silicone.. and well its held for 40 years.. thr bubbles will change shape and stuff as it fills up..

The unfinished machine marks on the top of the glass sucks though.

And the line in the silicone on the first pics is the machine marks not filled in with silicone you see on the rim.. while unsightly machine grooves and silicone like that will actually stick better then polished smooth... its unfortunate that the machining didnt get filled in with silicone though leaving that line you see.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to name any names right now, but the tank builder also builds showroom tanks for some of the major aquarium equipment brands we are very well aware of. Hope this gives a sense of 'expected' build quality.

I could easily see someone saying "you get what you pay for". But the tank wasn't built by some random guy on craigslist.

honestly looks like someone from craigslist built it. I wouldn't accept it.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make a company rebuild my tank with a decent list of issues as well. The extra weight and pushing to get what I expected in the first place was worth it in the end. I dont like that I had to do it in the first place.

With that unfinished pane, almost makes me wonder if they installed it upside down then said screw it. Like that was meant to meet the bottom pane and be in silicone.

I wonder if this is the same company I went through as the description sounds similar?

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make a company rebuild my tank with a decent list of issues as well. The extra weight and pushing to get what I expected in the first place was worth it in the end. I dont like that I had to do it in the first place.

With that unfinished pane, almost makes me wonder if they installed it upside down then said screw it. Like that was meant to meet the bottom pane and be in silicone.

I wonder if this is the same company I went through as the description sounds similar?

Shooting you a PM to see if the builder is the same and what you went through to get it re-built.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep picture #4 is the top of the tank. It stood out to me because the other two glass rims on the top of the tank were nice and smooth while this one had this odd haze and unfinished look. I tried to 'buff' it with a microfiber cloth without result.

The last picture is one of the two good panels for reference.
Yea, then that is not acceptable. That first picture too, that bubbling is a bit odd. Almost like some separation between the panes causing it. Not sure though. But definitely would say them shipping it out without a polished edge being unacceptable.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I had sent an email with these pictures to the tank builder, leaving it open ended as to what we should do moving forward and the response was good and straight to the point.

tl;dr: They offered to rebuild the tank from scratch. No haggling or offering of a discount. They simply owned up to the quality issue and offered to rebuild the entire tank. I think this was the best outcome I could expect of this situation. Do I have to pay out of pocket to send in my overflow box again and wait a while for this new tank to be built? Yes. But I can't expect them to pay for all of this as they are already eating up the material and labor cost of rebuilding it.

Hope the second tank is as good as their reputation! Will post a pic of the new tank once it arrives~

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back