Is This Acceptable From New Custom Tank?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I had sent an email with these pictures to the tank builder, leaving it open ended as to what we should do moving forward and the response was good and straight to the point.

tl;dr: They offered to rebuild the tank from scratch. No haggling or offering of a discount. They simply owned up to the quality issue and offered to rebuild the entire tank. I think this was the best outcome I could expect of this situation. Do I have to pay out of pocket to send in my overflow box again and wait a while for this new tank to be built? Yes. But I can't expect them to pay for all of this as they are already eating up the material and labor cost of rebuilding it.

Hope the second tank is as good as their reputation! Will post a pic of the new tank once it arrives~

This sounds reasonable to me.

Glad they're taking care of this for you.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they gave you the best possible response, perhaps you can tell us which company it is now. :)

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they gave you the best possible response, perhaps you can tell us which company it is now. :)

Good news for sure, but we shall see how the re-built tank turns out. Once the new tank is built and received, I will definitely post pictures and share more then :)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I had sent an email with these pictures to the tank builder, leaving it open ended as to what we should do moving forward and the response was good and straight to the point.

tl;dr: They offered to rebuild the tank from scratch. No haggling or offering of a discount. They simply owned up to the quality issue and offered to rebuild the entire tank. I think this was the best outcome I could expect of this situation. Do I have to pay out of pocket to send in my overflow box again and wait a while for this new tank to be built? Yes. But I can't expect them to pay for all of this as they are already eating up the material and labor cost of rebuilding it.

Hope the second tank is as good as their reputation! Will post a pic of the new tank once it arrives~
Triumphant! I would not have accepted the work on the first one for a custom tank.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

That's great news!!! I am happy that you were able to have it rebuilt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unacceptable. What kind of quality control they employ is beyond me,,,,,, but bottom line is- this is NOT what you ordered or paid for. They need to make good on this.
Send these same pictures to them and do not accept a discount but rather a NEW replacement without defects.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would never accept that in a custom tank, and would have done the same. I’m glad they took care of it, and that should be a huge relief. I’m currently having a custom tank built and they keep pushing back the shipping date. It makes me very nervous, but atm I have been super sick, so it’s a blessing at the same time.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad they made it right. I would not have accepted that quality either. I would never accept a bubble in a custom tank. Most of the time bubbles are harmless but they are a weak point in the seam and sometimes an innocent looking bubble an lead to a leak.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unacceptable. What kind of quality control they employ is beyond me,,,,,, NEW replacement without defects.
Well if your happy with the outcome thats all that matters. Personally I would not have cut out the overflow if it was siliconed in, swapping out pluming is one thing but tearing out part of the tank and shipping back at your cost is petty. If you get sliced with a razor.:eek: will you get Workmens comp?

BTY I am considering a custom 120 from A WELL KNOWN builder .....if this is his work I will NOT place that order!.......I seen another here that was sub par, but this one has way too many defects to try to get away with.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I’m glad they are re building your tank but I don’t agree you should be out of pocket and having to pay to send back the overflow box. At the end of the day they should never have considered making a tank using that glass and certainly should never have sent it to you with so many bubbles.

I understand sometimes it’s just easier to cooperate with people that already have your money though. Good luck

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your happy with the outcome thats all that matters. Personally I would not have cut out the overflow if it was siliconed in, swapping out pluming is one thing but tearing out part of the tank and shipping back at your cost is petty. If you get sliced with a razor.:eek: will you get Workmens comp?

BTY I am considering a custom 120 from A WELL KNOWN builder .....if this is his work I will NOT place that order!.......I seen another here that was sub par, but this one has way too many defects to try to get away with.
To clarify, I had my own overflow I wanted to install. So that meant that they needed it to cut out the right holes to fit it. There was no nearing of silicone.

Does it suck that I have to ship it twice? Sure. But what is more annoying is that I have to drive another 4.5 hours round trip to pick this tank up a second time.

*shrug*

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back