Is this aiptasia?

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey :)

Noticed this on the trachy coral that I only just bought.

aiptasia on trachy.jpg

I do have three peppermint shrimp in the tank (at least I hope I do - I haven't really seen them since I put them in a couple weeks ago - although I did see evidence of molting the other day)

I have done some reading and just bought the red sea coral dip so that I can dip future purchases before putting them in the tank.

If it is aiptasia (which I think it is) - then the peppermint should hopefully take care of it eventually. Are 3 peppermint shrimp enough in a 60 gal? Happy to buy some more - would prefer to try that than other chemicals in the tank. But - I'm not experienced and am happy to listen to those of you who have battled this before.

Thanks!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is an aptasia. 3 peppermints plenty- see if it disappears and they’re earning their keep.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, looks like aiptasia. Do you see more anywhere? If it’s just this one, don’t wait to treat as they spread rapidly. Inject with kalk paste for targeted treatment.

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looks like aiptasia. Do you see more anywhere? If it’s just this one, don’t wait to treat as they spread rapidly. Inject with kalk paste for targeted treatment.
Thanks - it's the only one I can see at the moment. I don't have kalk paste so is there anything else I can do?
Yes it is an aptasia. 3 peppermints plenty- see if it disappears and they’re earning their keep.
Fingers crossed they will take it down tonight - will definitely solve the problem.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Injecting with super hot water also works I believe. The shrimp may work but the trouble I have had with peppermint shrimp is that they steal food from soft corals while they are eating also (sometimes digging straight into their mouth to rip food out and damaging them)

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Injecting with super hot water also works I believe. The shrimp may work but the trouble I have had with peppermint shrimp is that they steal food from soft corals while they are eating also (sometimes digging straight into their mouth to rip food out and damaging them)
Happy to try the hot water treatment tomorrow. Do I just put boiling water into a pipette? Take the trachy out of the tank and squirt the hot water directly onto the aiptasia?

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or take it out and cover with gel super glue, I wouldn’t wait
As in the super glue that I use to stick corals to rock?
supposedly lemon juice too.
Wow so many things to try! I dunno which one to try first now...

Might do either hot water or lemon juice and then cover with the coral glue??? What do you think?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemon juice and hot water many people have already. I tried lemon juice and F-Apt. about a week later there are a couple more. tried again and a few more. bad aim? not enough? anyway, I bought a few Berghia before I explode the population. unfortunately the berg die when there's no more aiptasia.

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemon juice and hot water many people have already. I tried lemon juice and F-Apt. about a week later there are a couple more. tried again and a few more. bad aim? not enough? anyway, I bought a few Berghia before I explode the population. unfortunately the berg die when there's no more aiptasia.
Well I was going to wait until tomorrow seeing it's 11pm here but took all of you advice to do something now and just tried the hot water method. I took the trachy out of the water and used a syringe to squirt hot water on the aiptasia a few times. Was a bit challenging cause it sucked back in out of the tank but after a few squirts the whole aiptasia fell off the trachy. Hope I got it all.

It's difficult to find Berghia here in Australia - at least where I am - so that's why I bought 3 peppermint shrimp, but i haven't seen them for a while so wasn't confident they were still in the tank.

If i see more aiptasia in the next couple of weeks I think I might just buy a couple more peppermint shrimp again.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One argument towards letting it be (monitoring closely) and allowing peppermints do their job is a peppermint more likely to go for an aptasia than a coral… a hungry pepp. and all bets are off… would be a shame to intervene and kill their natural food source and push them elsewhere. I definitely understand the quick reaction especially to aptasia as it can get out of hand… but I’ve never seen aptasia get more out of hand than with lemon juice or aptasiaX.

I have a copper band and purposefully am letting larger aptasias just be until he is all about frozen. My 2 cents- may come back and burn me but hasn’t yet.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some reading and just bought the red sea coral dip so that I can dip future purchases before putting them in the tank.
This won't do anything for aiptasia... and I may be in the minority but the red sea coral dip is horrible, IMO...

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was going to wait until tomorrow seeing it's 11pm here but took all of you advice to do something now and just tried the hot water method. I took the trachy out of the water and used a syringe to squirt hot water on the aiptasia a few times. Was a bit challenging cause it sucked back in out of the tank but after a few squirts the whole aiptasia fell off the trachy. Hope I got it all.

It's difficult to find Berghia here in Australia - at least where I am - so that's why I bought 3 peppermint shrimp, but i haven't seen them for a while so wasn't confident they were still in the tank.

If i see more aiptasia in the next couple of weeks I think I might just buy a couple more peppermint shrimp again.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
If you’re in Australia, you can get an Australian Stripey pretty cheap, I would imagine. They will also eat Aiptasia. However, they are reef safe with caution, like other fish/shrimp alternatives.

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium hydroxide will work. Hot water and lemon juice won't. You want to feed the paste right into their mouths so they eat it and close above it. Just creating a pile on top of them won't do anything but help them spread.

Peppermints keep the population down, but not at zero. Best is to never allow aiptasia in the tank if possible.

My policy with them is: nuke first, ask questions later. The last one I had was too small for the Ca(OH)2, so it got buried under a big blob of coral epoxy...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying aptasiaX, but aiptasia keeps coming back...
I think the X in this case means multiplication symbol. It puts them to sleep for a week, then they reappear with a few friends. Try F-aptasia, so far I've not seen it reappear after being F'd. I used it based on reviews from others (including comments on this forum) seems to be impressive stuff.

To OP, personally, I did not want to try any injection method since my eyes are not the best, and if you miss the dead center of it when you try to jab it, then it will spawn. On the other hand, I don't think you can use the F-aptasia or anything else since that stuff shouldn't touch any corals. Unfortunately its position makes any solution really hard for you.

Is that a lobophyllia? Its gorgeous.

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re in Australia, you can get an Australian Stripey pretty cheap, I would imagine. They will also eat Aiptasia. However, they are reef safe with caution, like other fish/shrimp alternatives.
Yes I have seen the stripeys around and like the look of them. But not sure my tank is big enough (60g)

Calcium hydroxide will work. Hot water and lemon juice won't. You want to feed the paste right into their mouths so they eat it and close above it. Just creating a pile on top of them won't do anything but help them spread.

Peppermints keep the population down, but not at zero. Best is to never allow aiptasia in the tank if possible.

My policy with them is: nuke first, ask questions later. The last one I had was too small for the Ca(OH)2, so it got buried under a big blob of coral epoxy...

Well bugger I did the hot water so hope it works. I'll remember to use coral glue next time that's a good idea. The aiptasia fell off the trachy but not sure the trachy liked the hot water it's not looking as good as it did before. Hopefully it'll bounce back. I'll have to get some calcium hydroxide.

I think the X in this case means multiplication symbol. It puts them to sleep for a week, then they reappear with a few friends. Try F-aptasia, so far I've not seen it reappear after being F'd. I used it based on reviews from others (including comments on this forum) seems to be impressive stuff.

To OP, personally, I did not want to try any injection method since my eyes are not the best, and if you miss the dead center of it when you try to jab it, then it will spawn. On the other hand, I don't think you can use the F-aptasia or anything else since that stuff shouldn't touch any corals. Unfortunately its position makes any solution really hard for you.

Is that a lobophyllia? Its gorgeous.

I'll look into F-aiptasia.

It was sold to me as a trachyphyllia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back