Is this an Aiptasia eating filefish?

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought what the lfs said was an aiptasia eating filefish but wanted to see what you all think? It hasn’t touched any aiptasia yet since it’s only been a few days but has been eating brine shrimp

IMG_8451.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought what the lfs said was an aiptasia eating filefish but wanted to see what you all think? It hasn’t touched any aiptasia yet since it’s only been a few days but has been eating brine shrimp

IMG_8451.jpeg
to my eye it looks more like a fan-bellied filefish, but those are quite rare and expensive and grow to 12+ inches so i could be mistaken. At any rate, if you're keeping it full with brine shrimp it probably won't care to eat aiptasia for the most part. You could try peppermint shrimp, manual removal or a high power laser pointer.
1704315152895.png

OP
OP
mikeymushrooms

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to my eye it looks more like a fan-bellied filefish, but those are quite rare and expensive and grow to 12+ inches so i could be mistaken. At any rate, if you're keeping it full with brine shrimp it probably won't care to eat aiptasia for the most part. You could try peppermint shrimp, manual removal or a high power laser pointer.
1704315152895.png
I bought the filefish for 18$ on a new years sale, but you are right it does look similar, thankfully hasn’t touched any of my softies or sps. Have you had any luck with aiptasia x? I’m worried of using peppermints because they Forsure will snack on my corals. I’ll try manual removal in the meantime, some are really inside my rock though lol hard to reach. I hope it’s not a fan bellied because he will def outgrow my 40gal

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Filefish, I have one in my tank and he keeps the aptasia at bay. I put him in my Nano for a few weeks and sure enough, aptasia started to appear in my main tank again.

Underrated fish, in my opinion. Tons of personality and fun to keep. He did kill my blastos though.

OP
OP
mikeymushrooms

mikeymushrooms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Filefish, I have one in my tank and he keeps the aptasia at bay. I put him in my Nano for a few weeks and sure enough, aptasia started to appear in my main tank again.

Underrated fish, in my opinion. Tons of personality and fun to keep. He did kill my blastos though.
Thanks! Super cool fish, lots of personality for sure, Sorry to hear yours ate your blastos! Mines been a model citizen so far but keeping any eye out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back