Is this an OK stocking list for a fluval flex 32 gal?

clownfishmama

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2023
Messages
272
Reaction score
117
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’m currently planning a Fluval Flex 32G reef tank and would love some feedback on my stocking list. I’ve put together a list of fish and inverts that I think will work well together, and I’m especially interested in any advice regarding compatibility, behavior, or stocking tips.


Tank Setup:​


  • Tank Size: Fluval Flex 32G
  • Aquascaping: Live rock, plenty of hiding spaces, and sand for bottom dwellers

Confirmed Stocking List:​


Fish already existing in the 15 gal before the potential upgrade:​

Ocellaris Clownfish (1 year in tank)​

Yellow Clown Goby (1 year in tank)
Stocking ideas to add with the existing fish:
  1. Black Onyx Percula Clownfish – New potential male partner
  2. 2x Firefish – Peaceful, elegant swimmers
  3. Tiger Watchman Goby – Sand-sifting bottom dweller
  4. Midas Blenny – Active, flashy mid-water swimmer
  5. Six Line Wrasse– Pest control, energetic behavior

Inverts:​


  • Shrimp:
    1. Fire Shrimp
    2. Sexy Shrimp – 3 individuals
  • Crabs:
    1. Emerald Crab
    2. Pom Pom Crab
    3. Blue Leg Hermit Crabs – 4
    4. Scarlet Hermit Crab – 1
  • Snails:
    1. Trochus Snails – 3
    2. Nerite Snails – 3
    3. Cerith Snails – 3
    4. Nassarius Snails – 3

Questions & Concerns:​


  • Does this stocking list seem balanced for a 32G tank?
  • How should I introduce these species to minimize territorial aggression, especially between the Six Line Wrasse and the Midas Blenny?
  • Are there any specific behaviors I should expect from this mix of fish and inverts?
  • Is there a need to adjust the number of inverts or species to maintain balance?
  • Coral suggestions that would fit well with this setup (if I want to add some later)?

Extra Notes:​

  • I’m planning on adding corals eventually, but I’m focusing on the fish and inverts first.
  • I want to keep things peaceful and visually active, so I’m avoiding more aggressive species.
  • I’ll be providing plenty of hiding spots and live rock for the inhabitants.

Thanks in advance for your help! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and any suggestions you might have.
 
IMO a Midas blenny is pushing it in a 32. I have a tailspot in mine and he’s the perfect size. Also, stick to only one firefish. They will kill each other off if you add more than 1. Never kept a 6 line myself since they’re allegedly aggressive in smaller tanks. I would be cautious with adding one.

In my 32 biocube I have 5 fish and that has worked well. In your case I would add another clown, a firefish then pick a smaller blenny to hang out in the rock scape. That should give you one fish that hangs out in each zone to provide visual interest.
 
Personally I will suggest to keep it to 5 or 6 fish max (I have 4 fish in my 32 gallon). Leave the 6 line out, it can easily turn into a bully in that size tank. Get only 1 firefish, only get 2 if you can tell them as male and female, but generally most of us can't sex the fish so its safer to get only 1. Otherwise it looks good
 
When we started our 75 gallon tank the first fish were a pair of firefish . The were together at the LFS and hung out together and even slept in the same cave in our tank . After about 3 months one started growing bigger than the other . The larger fish started picking on the smaller one to the point that we had to move one into the QT. We started a flex 32.5 for the smaller fish . Just sayin'
 
I have the same tank and currently have 5 fish and wouldn't add anymore:

exquisite firefish
yellow clown goby
royal gramma
bi-color blenny
6-line wrasse

With the space and layout I wouldn't add a 2nd clown, with the risk of them pair and becoming territorial, other people have already mentioned the issue with multiple firefish. I may end up having the same issues with my bi-color as people have mentioned with the midas, but I'm supplementally feeding him in hopes to keep any unwanted behaviour (fin and coral nipping) at bay.

I will say that the fish take up way more space then I was expecting - Im seeing some issues with the gramma and the 6 line already. I would have moved the gramma to another tank, but I cant catch the bugger. I definitely wouldn't add anymore to the group I already have.

Your invert list looks good - I only have 2 emeralds for crabs, and am not missing not having any hermits. Add your clean up crew slowly as there is enough food for everyone. I did 3 trochus and 3 narssariius first, then added some cowries, a conch, and a couple of bumblebees later on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new