OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts also. Why risk it. If you can’t confirm 110% what it is (although it certainly looks like one I’d remove immediately upon spotting it) why would you risk your entire tank?
The species was not confirmed until 2023. It was a risk, but one I was willing to accept. I think it was the correct decision for me. I've lost tanks before.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same think in mine from Gulf Live Rock. Been debating as well at first was thinking lightbulb but now thinking curlique at least on mine which looks exactly like yours.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep removal simple as these specimens can multiply in a hurry. Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Read here: Bellactis Lux
A new species of sea anemone from the family Aiptasiidae based on specimens collected from the Gulf of Mexico (USA: Florida & Alabama). Accounts of this species have been known since the early 1990’s, primarily from an underwater field guide and hobbyist aquarium literature under the name “Lightbulb Anemone.” We describe it as a new species from the genus Bellactis based on anatomy, histology, and cnidom. Members of this species are small in size, with a smooth, typically contracted column divided into regions based on color and bearing rows of two or three elevated cinclides in the mid column. Their tentacles are distinctive, translucent, distally inflated and can be bulbous in shape, with sub annular rings. This description synthesizes information about Bellactis and contextualizes what is known about its diversity in light of other members of the Aiptasiidae.
1709219527721.png

IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg

This species from the TBS farm does not reproduce like Indo aptasia. Verified by local biologists who study them. @jabberwock received one and a year later has one.

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same think in mine from Gulf Live Rock. Been debating as well at first was thinking lightbulb but now thinking curlique at least on mine which looks exactly like yours.
F11541B8-92F0-484B-861C-D708960D8F14.JPG

Photo of curlique, not from TBS farm. These guys are prevalent south of us.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Read here: Bellactis Lux
A new species of sea anemone from the family Aiptasiidae based on specimens collected from the Gulf of Mexico (USA: Florida & Alabama). Accounts of this species have been known since the early 1990’s, primarily from an underwater field guide and hobbyist aquarium literature under the name “Lightbulb Anemone.” We describe it as a new species from the genus Bellactis based on anatomy, histology, and cnidom. Members of this species are small in size, with a smooth, typically contracted column divided into regions based on color and bearing rows of two or three elevated cinclides in the mid column. Their tentacles are distinctive, translucent, distally inflated and can be bulbous in shape, with sub annular rings. This description synthesizes information about Bellactis and contextualizes what is known about its diversity in light of other members of the Aiptasiidae.
1709219527721.png

IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg

This species from the TBS farm does not reproduce like Indo aptasia. Verified by local biologists who study them. @jabberwock received one and a year later has one.
Im familiar with this anemone and noy convinced on this one however curlique is possible.

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im familiar with this anemone and noy convinced on this one however curlique is possible.
If both @jabberwock photos in this thread are the same anemone, then it is a lightbulb. We have yet to harvest a curlique.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a lightbulb anemone it is a type of aiptaisia, probably the same species of curlique, I think i read somewhere that some anemone have gender and female anemone grow large and dont reproduce asexually while male anemones are small and produce asexually. Its prolly a female lightbulb anemone otherwise it would reproduce like aiptaisia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back