Meet Bellactis Lux, the lightbulb anemone!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Meet Bellactis lux n. sp. (Cnidaria: Anthozoa: Actiniaria: Aiptasiidae),

a new sea anemone from the Gulf of Mexico!

IMG_2503.jpg

Tampa Bay Saltwater founder, Richard Londeree, has been observing Lightbulb anemones for over 30 years in the Gulf of Mexico and as of October 2023, this anemone has an official name: Bellactis Lux!

Researchers collected 10 specimens between 2010 - 2023 to identify this new species. They are small in size, up to 3.5" and vary in color from translucent browns, beiges and rarely, yellow. Tentacles tend to be inflated creating a bulbus shape and sport pronounced or subtle rings.

They are from the family Aiptasiidae, which consists of nine genera and 21 species. Species of aiptasia differ in appearance (color, shape, size), reproduction, and nematocysts. The lightbulb anemone can asexually reproduce, although we have no reports of this happening in a home aquarium. They are found solitary on the TBS farm and are not often harvested on live rock.

Bellactis Lux are easy keepers in peaceful reef tanks, feeding on particulates in the water and situated mid-level under aquarium lighting. Folks often misjudge them as a negative live rock hitchhiker under the dreaded label, Aiptasia! Lightbulb anemones are as reef safe as a bubble tip anemone. While they won't host clownfish, they won't eat them either. Peppermint shrimp, Copperband Butterflies and gorilla crabs (family Xanthidae) will quickly eat smaller individuals.

Images of Bellactis Lux harvested from the TBS farm:
IMG_9081.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg
IMG_8994.jpg

light bulb.JPG
IMG_2504.jpg

Bellactis Lux Article

Add your photos and experiences with Bellactis Lux to this thread.
Rock on.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this post! Hopefully, there will be more color variants available in the hobby as more are properly identified and cultivated. Looking forward to a yellow one myself someday!

OP
OP
LiverockRocks

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_2423.jpg

This recently harvested live rock hosts the first yellow Bellactis Lux anemone Jocelyn has seen. Interesting that it's location is the underside of the rock while the beige and brown ones are found on top of live rock.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have one of these guys growing in my tank and was wondering what it was

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2423.jpg

This recently harvested live rock hosts the first yellow Bellactis Lux anemone Jocelyn has seen. Interesting that it's location is the underside of the rock while the beige and brown ones are found on top of live rock.
That is a beautiful rock!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2423.jpg

that yellow variety is beautiful though!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these pop up on the rock I got from you guys, I wasn't convinced they were aiptasia, so I've left them. Very striped like your pictures, but thinner. I haven't seen them get inflated at all. Have seen 5 show up so far and only in the last month or so, and I got this rock in early summer.
IMG_20240104_101446738.jpg

OP
OP
LiverockRocks

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After 18 months, mine is all growed up now...

before (about the size of a nickel):
IMG_5181.jpg

Today (the size of a tennis ball):
IMG_6483.jpg
Thanks for sharing how a lightbulb nem can look different; stringy tentacles or inflated.

It is much like a bubble tip anemone in that they don't always have bubble tips. We have also observed them moving locations similar to a bta.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing how a lightbulb nem can look different; stringy tentacles or inflated.

It is much like a bubble tip anemone in that they don't always have bubble tips. We have also observed them moving locations similar to a bta.
Mine moves around with flow changes. It likes moderate flow. My lights are pretty weak, so I don't think they effect it much. It is cool to have a newly defined species in my tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back