OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, immediately pulled the rock from my main display and placed it in a smaller tank with a pair of obnoxious Tomato clownfish.

Wondering if I should put it in the sump. But will it find its way back to the display from the sump?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, immediately pulled the rock from my main display and placed it in a smaller tank with a pair of obnoxious Tomato clownfish.

Wondering if I should put it in the sump. But will it find its way back to the display from the sump?
it could certainly make its way up over time, I'd remove the rock a manual remove what you can and plug the holes with super glue. Or, leave the whole rock out of water for a few days to dry up completely.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could certainly make its way up over time, I'd remove the rock a manual remove what you can and plug the holes with super glue. Or, leave the whole rock out of water for a few days to dry up completely.

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some, but can it be controlled?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some, but can it be controlled?
legitimately controlled? not based on my reading of this forum... unless you put the rock in its own system and become an aiptasia farmer (which joking aside isn't a bad idea if you want to breed bhergia nudis). Of course peppermint shrimps are an option, but have seen instances of them not fancying aiptasia as well. Why risk it?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
legitimately controlled? not based on my reading of this forum... unless you put the rock in its own system and become an aiptasia farmer (which joking aside isn't a bad idea if you want to breed bhergia nudis). Of course peppermint shrimps are an option, but have seen instances of them not fancying aiptasia as well. Why risk it?
I've seen them come and go in my systems. Sometimes the peppermints take care of the ones in the tank, but they always find a way.

@Dom , they can sandwich themselves between zoas and sting them. The only thing I found that controlled their growth is heavy coverage of discoma mushrooms...it seemed they couldn't settle on mushroom covered rocks. I bet other encrusters probably stop them from settling as well. Then you have the mushroom infestation to worry about.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well... I wouldn't in my main display.

But I only moved those two clowns into the tank a few days ago. It is a bare bottom tank with two Anemones and a patch of Zoa.

I had this idea to let the Zoas carpet the bottom of the tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back