Is this biofilm, detritus, or algae?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2022
Messages
7,136
Reaction score
10,447
Location
Easton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I turned my return pump off for a moment to add more water to my tank and all these white stuff came shooting out. Is it detritus? Mold? Biofilm? White algae? It came out quick and excessive or I would have put a net in front to capture it all.
IMG_5439.jpeg
 
I get that, too, sometimes. In my case I have lots of little sponges in my sump that i think get sucked into the tank. I also think there are mysis remnants that may settle in my piping & get blown out when the pressure/flow changes during restart. I always chalked it up to one of those things. Hard to tell from photo if we’re having the same issue.
 
Yeah agree with uneaten frozen food that gets spit out when you run the pump with low water or restart. Usually gets filtered or caught in the skimmer. Shouldnt be a concern.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new