Is this Brooke or something else?

Luxorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have noticed some strange behavior with my clown. This is my only fish in the tank, my mandarin did not make it (terrible rookie mistake very sad but lesson learned)

Currently my parameters seem stable. I am using API Master Kit. Ammonia returns 0 Nitrites return 0 and nitrates return somewhere between 0-5.0 according to API test kit.

I have lost a clown to Brooke previously, but this one seems quite different, fish doesn’t seem to be gasping, slime coat seems milky? But not falling off. Fish still eats perfectly fine, ravenous as usual. I feed Spiralina and brine shrimp frozen food.

Behavior wise the fish usually hosts in a single corner with decently high flow, weird little dude. However recently he has preferred under the small rock bridge I have in my tank. Seems to be hiding from light, unless I open the top of the tank then swimming back as usual.

Recent changes:
Lost fish (mandarin lost roughly 5-6 weeks ago)
Light change schedule, previously I would keep the blue light on at night, I read I should mimic night time without that blue light, ever since I turned that light off at night the fish’s behavior changed to what is described.

Suspicions: fish was stressed due to change in environment (lighting) and began scratching on the rocks. This theory seems to line up with where the patchy milkiness is. Pics attached.

IMG_4574.jpeg IMG_4575.jpeg IMG_4568.jpeg IMG_4569.jpeg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all! I have noticed some strange behavior with my clown. This is my only fish in the tank, my mandarin did not make it (terrible rookie mistake very sad but lesson learned)

Currently my parameters seem stable. I am using API Master Kit. Ammonia returns 0 Nitrites return 0 and nitrates return somewhere between 0-5.0 according to API test kit.

I have lost a clown to Brooke previously, but this one seems quite different, fish doesn’t seem to be gasping, slime coat seems milky? But not falling off. Fish still eats perfectly fine, ravenous as usual. I feed Spiralina and brine shrimp frozen food.

Behavior wise the fish usually hosts in a single corner with decently high flow, weird little dude. However recently he has preferred under the small rock bridge I have in my tank. Seems to be hiding from light, unless I open the top of the tank then swimming back as usual.

Recent changes:
Lost fish (mandarin lost roughly 5-6 weeks ago)
Light change schedule, previously I would keep the blue light on at night, I read I should mimic night time without that blue light, ever since I turned that light off at night the fish’s behavior changed to what is described.

Suspicions: fish was stressed due to change in environment (lighting) and began scratching on the rocks. This theory seems to line up with where the patchy milkiness is. Pics attached.

IMG_4574.jpeg IMG_4575.jpeg IMG_4568.jpeg IMG_4569.jpeg image.jpg
The heavy presence of mucus suggests brooklynella which commonly affects clowns especially wild caught versions. Also , the amount of slime on its body. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back