Is This Bryopsis?

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220804_131950.jpg

IMG_20220804_131925.jpg

This is growing on the underside of some live rock (from Florida) that I have in my tank. Sorry the picture isn't that great, its towards the back of the tank and hard to get a good picture of. It does have a fern like appearance but is pretty small. I don't have much of it yet, its mainly in the shaded spots of the live rock.

Thanks for any identification or treatment tips.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of hydroids.

If so, they will more than likely die off, as we do not provide near enough of what they eat in our tanks.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can second the hydroids, and also second the 'more than likely die off' I had exactly what those look like in my tank, would notice mysis shrimp get stuck on them when I was feeding.

I went down the 'hydroid' rabbit hole and stressed out about them. Then i found a lil' aiptasia and forgot about them, dealt with the aiptasia, and the hydroids have gone bye bye.

keep an eye on it, monitor it, as long as there are no corals near it then it should work itself out over time

OP
OP
Soilworker

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of hydroids.

If so, they will more than likely die off, as we do not provide near enough of what they eat in our tanks.

I can second the hydroids, and also second the 'more than likely die off' I had exactly what those look like in my tank, would notice mysis shrimp get stuck on them when I was feeding.

I went down the 'hydroid' rabbit hole and stressed out about them. Then i found a lil' aiptasia and forgot about them, dealt with the aiptasia, and the hydroids have gone bye bye.

keep an eye on it, monitor it, as long as there are no corals near it then it should work itself out over time

Gotcha. I had never heard of hydroids before and after looking them up it does look like them. I'll just keep an eye on it and hopefully it just stays as is or goes away. Not causing any issues at the moment.

OP
OP
Soilworker

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely off topic, but that is from what I can see an absolutely gorgeous piece of live rock
Yeah the pieces I got are pretty nice. They are covered in shells from some type of clam\filter feeder. It looks a little different than just "rock' but adds a nice touch. My build thread has more pics of my tank. All the live rock is in the middle structure that I put together with fiberglass rods and superglue. Has some cool overhangs and swim throughs. All the animals seem to prefer hanging out near it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Colonial hydroids known as Nemalecium lighti which is a branching type.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back