Is this bubble algae on my zoa?

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week ago I noticed a few growths on my small zoa that I thought might be new polyps. Now I’m thinking they’re bubble algae.

Can you help me confirm? And how should I remove them? The pic is zoomed in, but for scale, the entire coral frag is about the size of a thumbnail.

C9D944E0-BBB9-4E5F-80E6-03ADDA222079.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. If the rock is easy to remove, pull out of tank and knock them off the rock. I've heard the can release spores if you pop them but I dont know the truth to it; I've never had a bubble algae issue (just some here and there that I plucked off). Emerald crabs are rumored to eat them.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove rock and remove them. Give them a dip in ro water to make sure you don’t introduce the spores.

Popping them will release spores and it will start growing everywhere else. so best to do it outside the tank, remove all you can see and then Rinse in ro.

I’m not sure: there may be something else you can dip them in to kill it. Let’s see if anyone else is more knowledgeable in regards to a zoe safe dip that would also kill it.

good luck

OP
OP
Brakaan

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how it may have gotten there? I’ve heard they can hitchhike on coral frags. Maybe that’s why it’s only on the zoa?

Last edited:

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on it may have gotten there? I’ve heard they can hitchhike on coral frags. Maybe that’s why it’s only the zoa?

That sounds reasonable and plausible to me, if that’s a fairly new frag and the only place you see it, that would be my guess.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how it may have gotten there? I’ve heard they can hitchhike on coral frags. Maybe that’s why it’s only on the zoa?
Most likely where they came from has them in that system and they've only just started to mature on your frag base.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bubble algae. I put a few emerald crabs in and they went straight to work. I watched them pop every single one as they ate. Popping doesn't seem to make it spread in my experience.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to remove the rock I would also hit the area they're growing on with some hydrogen peroxide after you've removed them. It will help to prevent them growing back. But keep an eye on that spot as they can be persistent.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back