Is this chalice healthy?

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had thi chalice in my newer tank (4 months), and it seems to be both growing and a little washed out. Can anyone tell me if this looks OK or needs lower light, or something? Parameters have been very stable.

pH 8.2-8.3
dKH 8-8.5 (kalk dosing 1.3 mL per minute, has been very stable for at least two months)
Ca ~400 a week ago
Mg ~ 1360 a week ago
77 degrees
Occasional reef roids feeding, with polyp booster.

New polyps seem to be forming on left and top right, but I am still worried about the lack of pigment in some parts. It seems to be growing leftwards away from light. Do I need to shade it?
IMG_9382.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had thi chalice in my newer tank (4 months), and it seems to be both growing and a little washed out. Can anyone tell me if this looks OK or needs lower light, or something? Parameters have been very stable.

pH 8.2-8.3
dKH 8-8.5 (kalk dosing 1.3 mL per minute, has been very stable for at least two months)
Ca ~400 a week ago
Mg ~ 1360 a week ago
77 degrees
Occasional reef roids feeding, with polyp booster.

New polyps seem to be forming on left and top right, but I am still worried about the lack of pigment in some parts. It seems to be growing leftwards away from light. Do I need to shade it?
IMG_9382.jpeg
Looks alittle beached, do you have a photo of when you first got it?

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like Raja Rampage chalice. The yellow eyes grow black rings around the yellow eyes. Yours has a lot of yellow eyes close together and the rings are also close together which is causing the dark shading. From my experience and doing some research on the coral, it needs to be low in the tank and in a low light section of the tank. Other than that it looks healthy and growing well. When it gets a little larger those eyes should spread out and really come into its own. Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9941.jpeg

Here you go (lights not on yet, indirect sunlight in room). I moved it a little away from the light and tilted it a little. Also it may have been getting some direct reflected light in that corner of the tank in late summer from the glass blocks above the tank. Excuse the photobombing piggies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back