Is this Clownfish Hyper-Melanization?

NSReeF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. This is actually my first tank ever, so I don’t have much experience so far and I’m freaking out whether this is Hyper-Melanization, Black Ich or something else?

2 days ago, I have noticed black spots on both of my Clownfish. I would say around 8-10 spots, on both sides on orange one, mostly on upper orange part of body, and around 5 spots on the black one, but only on white part of the body (maybe it’s just not visible on black parts). I think that the number of black spots has remained the same during past few days on both of them. But maybe they have become little bit darker on the orange one then the first day, and I think they are kind of fading away on the black one, which is kind of weird.

They are both still acting normally, swimming around, breathing normally, eating everything as usual. Other 3 fishes are fine, without any marks. The orange one has been in tank for 3 months, and the black one for around 2 months. In last couple of weeks, the orange one has become little bit more aggressive, but I think that’s normal because she is dominant one.

One week before I have noticed these black spots, I have introduced 1 Anthelia and 2 zoas. Beside that, nothing else has been changed in last 2-3 months. No new animals, corals, everything has been the same.

I have few soft corals, few zoas, and 1 really small Euphyllia frag, but none of which is hosting Clowns. They usually hang out in lower flow part of the tank, and sleep near the overflow box. So far, I have never noticed them coming even near any of the corals.

Tank is 80 gallons, almost 8 months old, with:

2x Ocellaris clownfish (one regular, one black)

1x Bluestreak cleaner wrasse

1x Six-line wrasse

1x Blue-green chromis

1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Few Trochus snails

Temperature 78-80 F

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0-5

TIA

viber_slika_2021-10-04_16-05-58-916.jpg viber_slika_2021-10-05_18-46-00-632.jpg viber_slika_2021-10-05_19-49-40-505.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an anemone - if not - its likely not hypermelaninization.

"
* This is more of a condition than a disease. The dark spots are reactions from coming into contact with an anemone or stinging coral.
* Most of the time it self-corrects, in rare cases it can be fatal for the fish. It all depends upon whether eventually the host “accepts” the clown(s).:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. This is actually my first tank ever, so I don’t have much experience so far and I’m freaking out whether this is Hyper-Melanization, Black Ich or something else?

2 days ago, I have noticed black spots on both of my Clownfish. I would say around 8-10 spots, on both sides on orange one, mostly on upper orange part of body, and around 5 spots on the black one, but only on white part of the body (maybe it’s just not visible on black parts). I think that the number of black spots has remained the same during past few days on both of them. But maybe they have become little bit darker on the orange one then the first day, and I think they are kind of fading away on the black one, which is kind of weird.

They are both still acting normally, swimming around, breathing normally, eating everything as usual. Other 3 fishes are fine, without any marks. The orange one has been in tank for 3 months, and the black one for around 2 months. In last couple of weeks, the orange one has become little bit more aggressive, but I think that’s normal because she is dominant one.

One week before I have noticed these black spots, I have introduced 1 Anthelia and 2 zoas. Beside that, nothing else has been changed in last 2-3 months. No new animals, corals, everything has been the same.

I have few soft corals, few zoas, and 1 really small Euphyllia frag, but none of which is hosting Clowns. They usually hang out in lower flow part of the tank, and sleep near the overflow box. So far, I have never noticed them coming even near any of the corals.

Tank is 80 gallons, almost 8 months old, with:

2x Ocellaris clownfish (one regular, one black)

1x Bluestreak cleaner wrasse

1x Six-line wrasse

1x Blue-green chromis

1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Few Trochus snails

Temperature 78-80 F

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0-5

TIA

viber_slika_2021-10-04_16-05-58-916.jpg viber_slika_2021-10-05_18-46-00-632.jpg viber_slika_2021-10-05_19-49-40-505.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Very thorough post, and good quality pictures!

Trouble is, I can’t tell you what is going on here. This looks exactly like clownfish hypermelanization from being stung by a coral, but that almost always happens when you add a new coral or add a clown to a tank of corals and it tries to host them and gets stung…
Jay

OP
OP
N

NSReeF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an anemone - if not - its likely not hypermelaninization.

"
* This is more of a condition than a disease. The dark spots are reactions from coming into contact with an anemone or stinging coral.
* Most of the time it self-corrects, in rare cases it can be fatal for the fish. It all depends upon whether eventually the host “accepts” the clown(s).:
No, I do not have Nem :( And it bothers me, because I am not sure if other corals are capable to sting in that manner? I have never seen Clowns touching any of my corals. They are hanging out close to one Gorgonian, but I am not convinced that it could leave such marks.

OP
OP
N

NSReeF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Very thorough post, and good quality pictures!

Trouble is, I can’t tell you what is going on here. This looks exactly like clownfish hypermelanization from being stung by a coral, but that almost always happens when you add a new coral or add a clown to a tank of corals and it tries to host them and gets stung…
Jay
Thanks for the welcome Jay!

Visually it looks like hyper-melanization, because it looks like to me that not all dark spots have exactly the same shape or size, neither that they are perfect dots, and I think that they are stationary. I have not seen them scratching up to a rock or something. Which all could be signs of Black Ich, if I am not wrong? But my experience is only based on available pictures online.

Do you have any other ideas what that could be? Is there anything else that could leave such black marks, except Black Ich?

Could they have be stinged by zoas? I would probably point my finger at them rather than at other mostly soft corals.

Bad thing is that It seems to me that the orange one is having few more spots today. On the other hand, spots on the black one are kind of fading away. Another good thing is that they are both still doing just fine.

Attachments

• viber_slika_2021-10-06_13-10-16-987.jpg
    viber_slika_2021-10-06_13-10-16-987.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome Jay!

Visually it looks like hyper-melanization, because it looks like to me that not all dark spots have exactly the same shape or size, neither that they are perfect dots, and I think that they are stationary. I have not seen them scratching up to a rock or something. Which all could be signs of Black Ich, if I am not wrong? But my experience is only based on available pictures online.

Do you have any other ideas what that could be? Is there anything else that could leave such black marks, except Black Ich?

Could they have be stinged by zoas? I would probably point my finger at them rather than at other mostly soft corals.

Bad thing is that It seems to me that the orange one is having few more spots today. On the other hand, spots on the black one are kind of fading away. Another good thing is that they are both still doing just fine.
Melanin deposition can be a result of other skin issues, but the typical turbellarian worm that can cause this doesn’t create such large and diffuse spots. There are digeneans and other turbellarian worm species, but they are not as well known. In the absence of other symptoms, I wouldn’t treat this.
Jay

OP
OP
N

NSReeF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanin deposition can be a result of other skin issues, but the typical turbellarian worm that can cause this doesn’t create such large and diffuse spots. There are digeneans and other turbellarian worm species, but they are not as well known. In the absence of other symptoms, I wouldn’t treat this.
Jay
Yeah, I agree with you. That is probably most logical explanation. I will closely monitor them to see if there are any changes in their behavior.

Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%

Back