Is this coral dead? looking for advice

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have had very good success with getting coral shipments over the last handful of months and have finally possibly had the first casualty. Have had great success but I know these things can happen.

This chalice arrived yesterday looking pretty good and very colorful. It seemed irritated but when I went to bed it was still colorful and I hadn't given it a second thought. When I woke up this morning it was white with dark mucas all around it as you can see in the photo. Is this completely dead with no chance of recovering? Looking for advice on what to do.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin

JFChemRChalice.jpg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have had very good success with getting coral shipments over the last handful of months and have finally possibly had the first casualty. Have had great success but I know these things can happen.

This chalice arrived yesterday looking pretty good and very colorful. It seemed irritated but when I went to bed it was still colorful and I hadn't given it a second thought. When I woke up this morning it was white with dark mucas all around it as you can see in the photo. Is this completely dead with no chance of recovering? Looking for advice on what to do.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin

JFChemRChalice.jpg
Ouch. Looks melted.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I would say that means its too far gone then? Wondering what could cause this to happen so fast over the first night.

Thanks again!
I had a 30 that I let the salinity get out of wack. Way to high. I put a birdsnest in and it melted immediately. If the coral was healthy before I'd look for a parameter issue. If all other corals are healthy then maybe just a shipping loss. Hope it works out ok.

OP
OP
MN_ReeferKev

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 30 that I let the salinity get out of wack. Way to high. I put a birdsnest in and it melted immediately. If the coral was healthy before I'd look for a parameter issue. If all other corals are healthy then maybe just a shipping loss. Hope it works out ok.
Thank you I really appreciate the response. Doing some testing as we speak but everything else looks great and normal so I am thinking(and hoping) this is just a shipping loss. While I wait for the vendor to get back to me, is there any harm in leaving it in the tank with all the mucas/gel coming off it? I ask because the site has a 10 day guarantee and maybe they want me to leave it a couple days to make sure? Dont want to lose the guarantee but dont above that I dont want to harm anything else in the tank.

Thanks for your help!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I really appreciate the response. Doing some testing as we speak but everything else looks great and normal so I am thinking(and hoping) this is just a shipping loss. While I wait for the vendor to get back to me, is there any harm in leaving it in the tank with all the mucas/gel coming off it? I ask because the site has a 10 day guarantee and maybe they want me to leave it a couple days to make sure? Dont want to lose the guarantee but dont above that I dont want to harm anything else in the tank.

Thanks for your help!
OK. I'd go ahead and remove it. Inspect for living tissue. If it's dead Take a pic of the dead animal on a white paper towel for the vendor. Vendor will probably give you store credit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back