Is this coral dead ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't understand what this is meant to show, these guys grew like this on their own, and haven't been dragged around.
BTW - what its meant to show - is that coral are millions of years old - Saying that taking a coral out of a tank for 10 minutes - is (depending on the coral ). is an incorrect statement.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes tank was fully cycled a hole month before putting live stock in
Forget the ammonia. Unless you've had something die. Then read the instructions for the test kit you use. For example a lot of people say - API is horrible - but If you read the instructions my guess is - according to their instructions - your ammonia is 0. If not. you've added too much too soon.... let us know

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP you say?

You could dunk it into a bucket of bleach, douse it with gasoline, set it on fire, flash it down the toilet, watch it go through the entire sanitation process of your local municipality then turn on the spout, retreive it, give it a slight rinse and put it back in the tank. Two weeks later it will be twice the size, thriving... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Obviously an exhaugeration, but they are super resiliant. Just leave it be and give it some time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GSP you say?

You could dunk it into a bucket of bleach, douse it with gasoline, set it on fire, flash it down the toilet, watch it go through the entire sanitation process of your local municipality then turn on the spout, retreive it, give it a slight rinse and put it back in the tank. Two weeks later it will be twice the size, thriving... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Obviously an exhaugeration, but they are super resiliant. Just leave it be and give it some time.
No you cant - its an irresponsible statement. Most GSP WILL recover everything..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems pretty clear that was dramatized for effect and humor.
If you got the messages I have gotten on here - you would realize - that what some person puts out as a joke (clearly this was) - is taken literally by the person reading the thread 2 years from now. IMHO - irresponsible.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the messages I have gotten on here - you would realize - that what some person puts out as a joke (clearly this was) - is taken literally by the person reading the thread 2 years from now. IMHO - irresponsible.
nobody capable of maintaining an aquarium will see

"bucket of bleach, douse it with gasoline, set it on fire, flash it down the toilet, watch it go through the entire sanitation process of your local municipality then turn on the spout, retreive it, give it a slight rinse and put it back in the tank. Two weeks later it will be twice the size, thriving"

and think its literal.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About about the last Line....
"Obviously an exhaugeration, but they are super resiliant. Just leave it be and give it some time."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nobody capable of maintaining an aquarium will see

"bucket of bleach, douse it with gasoline, set it on fire, flash it down the toilet, watch it go through the entire sanitation process of your local municipality then turn on the spout, retreive it, give it a slight rinse and put it back in the tank. Two weeks later it will be twice the size, thriving"

and think its literal.
LOL - you would be surprised - and there is no debate here - I gave my opinion. it was irresponsible. feel free not to respond to my posts in the future - much appreciated. Besides - I already responded - that of course the post was tongue in cheek. I do not think the forum for 'tongue in cheek' jokes about corals or fish - is in this area. Thats my opinion. So - I'm going to stick with what I said 'irresponsible'. Not false - Irresponsible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually - taking a step back - I did not see (understand) the last sentence of the person saying dump it in gasoline. I'm going to stick though with my opinion - that the last sentence is where it could have been left. But - I agree - the poster said his 'missive' was an exaggeration.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If folk can't be both helpful and humourous at the same time, this ain't Reef2Reef no more.

-Note to future readers, humor was actually allowed still in 2022 but unsure of for how long. Please don't dump petrol on your coral. It is ill advised in all seriousness-

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If folk can't be both helpful and humourous at the same time, this ain't Reef2Reef no more.

-Note to future readers, humor was actually allowed still in 2022 but unsure of for how long. Please don't dump petrol on your coral. It is ill advised in all seriousness-
If you're referring to me - I agree with you - in fact - I posted the following - without your help:

"Actually - taking a step back - I did not see (understand) the last sentence of the person saying dump it in gasoline. I'm going to stick though with my opinion - that the last sentence is where it could have been left. But - I agree - the poster said his 'missive' was an exaggeration."

I also said this - in case you missed it - a couple posts back: " that what some person puts out as a joke (clearly this was)"

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to me - I agree with you - in fact - I posted the following - without your help:

"Actually - taking a step back - I did not see (understand) the last sentence of the person saying dump it in gasoline. I'm going to stick though with my opinion - that the last sentence is where it could have been left. But - I agree - the poster said his 'missive' was an exaggeration."

I also said this - in case you missed it - a couple posts back: " that what some person puts out as a joke (clearly this was)"
I was referring specifically to the notion that people in the future may read something after the fact and act on what should have been taken Tongue-in-cheek, as a jest.

It wasn't a dig at or to you directly. I think we're all here to help, Be helpful, be entertained, Garner community and so on.

Quoting Me:

I'm trying to help you out from getting messages in the future. Hence the (attempted comedy) of a caveat for future readers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very moody coral at first.
Assure moderate to medium water flow , low to moderate light with traces of iron and stronium in the water and no fish are picking at it
Took mine 3 weeks to really wake up and now I yell " Slow down" LOL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was referring specifically to the notion that people in the future may read something after the fact and act on what should have been taken Tongue-in-cheek, as a jest.

It wasn't a dig at or to you directly. I think we're all here to help, Be helpful, be entertained, Garner community and so on.

Quoting Me:

I'm trying to help you out from getting messages in the future. Hence the (attempted comedy) of a caveat for future readers.
I'm happy to get messages - I'm happy to get criticism. In the future - I hope that people don't use a thread titled 'is this coral dead' as a way to make a 'joke'. That was my point. I hope you got it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to get messages - I'm happy to get criticism. In the future - I hope that people don't use a thread titled 'is this coral dead' as a way to make a 'joke'. That was my point. I hope you got it.
Not sure if you are insinuating that the Op asking a question about their coral is a Joke, or the replies OP has gotten from multiple members is a joke.

There can be jest, within answers. There can be humor with information given. In fact, I'd say that is a great way to Build community here.

That is my point. I hope everyone understands it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if you are insinuating that the Op asking a question about their coral is a Joke, or the replies OP has gotten from multiple members is a joke.

There can be jest, within answers. There can be humor with information given. In fact, I'd say that is a great way to Build community here.

That is my point. I hope everyone understands it.
1. No I was not insinuating that the OP was a joke
2. No I was not insinuating that many of the replies the OP received were a joke.
3. Got your point. Thanks.

Now I'm going to illustrate what I meant. Your handle - 'Lost in the sauce' - and btw - you have many great posts - and you know I like them - so don't take this the wrong way. Lost in the sauce - if I was to 'jokingly say' if I disagreed with you 'are you drunk?' - apparently you are indeed 'lost in the sauce'. I could say - thats a comment - based on 'humor' right? (Rhetorical question). I wouldn't ever say that - its a totally made-up example. In this case - a guy - has a gray colored supposedly GSP. A small frag - to say the least. My comment related to the fact that though GSP are 'easy' - and many people want to get rid of them - that - perhaps its not the forum to be implying - you can do xyzzy to GSP as a 'joke'. We can agree to disagree.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%

Back