Is this cyano... Peroxide dosing

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have looked through reef2reef and can not find any decent images of cyano, this is my aquriam today (pictures), i change water every 2 weeks, I use seachem stability and prime with every water change but I have a couple of questions.
I read that you can cycle an aquarium by just using seachem stability and prime so am I starting a cycle every 2 weeks which causes algae/ growth?

2nd question refers to peroxide dosing, I included screenshots (please tell me how to link properly)
Has anyone used this peroxide dosing method, I have hydrogen peroxide 6% so obviously I would use half the dose but I am extremely concerned it may damage my corals and fish.
Does anyone do this regularly in aquriam? I do use hydrogen peroxide on some corals like my GSP and mushroom (which come back great) but so unsure about adding to whole aquarium. Other than algae.... corals seem to be loving life as they have opened up (especially candy cane)
Thanks

Screenshot_2022-07-16-17-13-28-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg IMG20220716171845.jpg IMG20220716171837.jpg IMG20220716171833.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like cyano to me, though I could be wrong. The healthy corals (and you haven't mentioned snail deaths) would also point to cyano, not dinos, since dinos are toxic to inverts.

The best way to get rid of cyano is to figure out why it's appeared, and fix that. Does your activated charcoal filter in your RODI unit need replacing? Do you have a good amount of nutrients, not too much and not too little?

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No invertebrate deaths, my snails are laying eggs like mad (I have a post on this) and hermits are happily taking new shells :) hence I'm thinking cyano, no changes to equipment, I have not added any new life except a mushroom about 3 weeks ago (picture. Just below firework coral)

Attachments

• IMG20220716171845.jpg
    IMG20220716171845.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 39

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that H2O2 can be a great tool in the right circumstances, but many of the accounts that I've read are more apocryphal than prescriptive, and it's hard to determine a therapeutic dosage for a tank's particular biome. I will say that I nearly killed a couple of urchins pipetting it into a stuborn valonia clump -- they do not like it -- and that it seems to be best used for precision applications, like dips.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that H2O2 can be a great tool in the right circumstances, but many of the accounts that I've read are more apocryphal than prescriptive, and it's hard to determine a therapeutic dosage for a tank's particular biome. I will say that I nearly killed a couple of urchins pipetting it into a stuborn valonia clump -- they do not like it -- and that it seems to be best used for precision applications, like dips.
Thank you, so you had bubble algae and you tried hydrogen peroxide in your aquarium via pipette as it was on your urchins? Or did you remove urchins and use hydrogen peroxide to blast separately?
I have used hydrogen peroxide on my GSP separately but never in my aquriam with livestock of hermits shrimp fish snails

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, so you had bubble algae and you tried hydrogen peroxide in your aquarium via pipette as it was on your urchins? Or did you remove urchins and use hydrogen peroxide to blast separately?
I have used hydrogen peroxide on my GSP separately but never in my aquriam with livestock of hermits shrimp fish snails
I have a terrible valonia problem in my Evo. I used a pipette with 3% H2O2 to get into some crevasses where the algae had lodged, and noted that my tuxedo immedately fell off the side of the glass and looked distressed; it recovered in a day. I did the same thing in my 65g RSM250...and saw pretty much the same thing, although a few snails became dislodged as well. This method did eradicate some of the valonia -- but it grew right back.

None of the valonia was on the urchins. Okay, it was -- but I plucked that off with tongs. I didn't pipe anything near the urchins.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think this is valonia? Or just side effects of using hydrogen peroxide

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry -- I'm just providing an example of the potentially deleterious effects of dosing peroxide in your tank. I didn't use much more than the dose recommended above of 1 ml/g of H2O2, and had to stop because of effects on some of the inverts. I don't know how it would effect cyano in the tank, as I didn't have any at the time and didn't want to put it directly in the water column. I do use peroxide to dip corals and treat incoming fish at much higher doses, though, so it's clear that many marine organisms have a much higher tolerance for it than some inverts. Some inverts really do not like it, though.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry -- I'm just providing an example of the potentially deleterious effects of dosing peroxide in your tank. I didn't use much more than the dose recommended above of 1 ml/g of H2O2, and had to stop because of effects on some of the inverts. I don't know how it would effect cyano in the tank, as I didn't have any at the time and didn't want to put it directly in the water column. I do use peroxide to dip corals and treat incoming fish at much higher doses, though, so it's clear that many marine organisms have a much higher tolerance for it than some inverts. Some inverts really do not like it, though.
Thank you yes that makes more sense, i am so unsure about adding any chemical to my whole aquarium., I read and read about everything before asking, vodka dosing? Vinegar? Just not sure how to safely do it

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you yes that makes more sense, i am so unsure about adding any chemical to my whole aquarium., I read and read about everything before asking, vodka dosing? Vinegar? Just not sure how to safely do it
"Slowly and cautiously" is the ticket. And do not dose vinegar and vodka (or NoPox) without using a skimmer, or you could end up with anoxic conditions that kill your fish.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your rocks it looks like you are still in the uglies stage? I'd avoid adding any "kill method" solutions because you'll basically reset the "field of competiton" in the microfauna environment. It should eventually outgrow this stage. With these kill method solutions it may temporarily clean up your sand but something else will eventually come back.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on using it to get rid of some pesky xenia?

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have looked through reef2reef and can not find any decent images of cyano, this is my aquriam today (pictures), i change water every 2 weeks, I use seachem stability and prime with every water change but I have a couple of questions.
I read that you can cycle an aquarium by just using seachem stability and prime so am I starting a cycle every 2 weeks which causes algae/ growth?

2nd question refers to peroxide dosing, I included screenshots (please tell me how to link properly)
Has anyone used this peroxide dosing method, I have hydrogen peroxide 6% so obviously I would use half the dose but I am extremely concerned it may damage my corals and fish.
Does anyone do this regularly in aquriam? I do use hydrogen peroxide on some corals like my GSP and mushroom (which come back great) but so unsure about adding to whole aquarium. Other than algae.... corals seem to be loving life as they have opened up (especially candy cane)
Thanks

Screenshot_2022-07-16-17-13-28-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg IMG20220716171845.jpg IMG20220716171837.jpg IMG20220716171833.jpg
look at my build thread for some cyano pics

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back