Is this cyano?

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve recently started feeding my corals more and now I have these red spots that come off easy on my rock. Mostly in dead spots. I think it’s cyano. Nitrates 8ppm. phos .5. Most of the team is clean it’s just in dead spots in boosting my flow cut out white light and I’ve been scrubbing it off the rock. Comes off super easy making me think it’s cyano. Right now it’s in like 1% of the tank but from reading it cAn get out of Control fast I have 4 turbos. Fox face tang red and blue leg hermits and bumblebee snails for cuc. Also a blonde tang and a yellow. Anything else I can do to fight this without chemical intervention? Thank you

FCCBED9B-09C0-46D8-82AD-1A7B9E38FD36.jpeg

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding them? Amino's could spark some Cyano or Dinos in some cases.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower po4, dose Kz cyano clean. Hard to tell with the pictures provided.

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding them? Amino's could spark some Cyano or Dinos in some cases.
Ab+. 1 and a half times a week. Benepets 2 times a week for corals. And frozen food 3x a day. For fish. With some spot feeding weekly for anemone and pistol shrimp. Parameter are Salinty 1.025. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 8-10 Phosphate.5. Temp 79

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad to brush it off the rocks that a Turkey blaster won’t reach. It’s really only in the dead spots. I boosted the flow to try and reach

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ab+. 1 and a half times a week. Benepets 2 times a week for corals. And frozen food 3x a day. For fish. With some spot feeding weekly for anemone and pistol shrimp. Parameter are Salinty 1.025. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 8-10 Phosphate.5. Temp 79
Po4 .5 ? That could well be the cause of your problems in fact your po4 could be higher as the Cyanobacteria will consume it

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also algae sheet 1/4 daily and a clam daily. But those are gone since the siting of the cyano. Seeing if the tangs can help with the snails. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano usually starts on the sandbed. You sure that's not coraline starting in your tank?

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano usually starts on the sandbed. You sure that's not coraline starting in your tank?
2 weeks ago I had a small brown patch in my sand bed and used vibrant and it was gone and hasn’t returned. I’m not sure what I have it’s only on dead spots in the tank and in small patches but it comes off easily. It’s also dark red and doesn’t feel super slimy. I thought it wasn’t cyano because it’s not on the sand and I’ve checked it’s nowhere on the sand. I’m not sure what I have. Those are the best picks i just want to Make sure it doesn’t spread out of control. Could it be coralline? I’ve heard vibrant doesn’t work and cyano but what ever was on the sand bed is gone and it wasn’t spreading either it was only in one small spot. Thanks

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about it "taking over" or doing anything drastic to remove it because it is present in most systems and only grows when the microfauna have not developed enough to break things down. It's something that can happen in some but not all new tanks but old tanks don;' generally get an outbreak and small amounts of cyano are natural and normal.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I had a small brown patch in my sand bed and used vibrant and it was gone and hasn’t returned. I’m not sure what I have it’s only on dead spots in the tank and in small patches but it comes off easily. It’s also dark red and doesn’t feel super slimy. I thought it wasn’t cyano because it’s not on the sand and I’ve checked it’s nowhere on the sand. I’m not sure what I have. Those are the best picks i just want to Make sure it doesn’t spread out of control. Could it be coralline? I’ve heard vibrant doesn’t work and cyano but what ever was on the sand bed is gone and it wasn’t spreading either it was only in one small spot. Thanks
If it doesn't blow off or wipe off with your touch perhaps it's coraline. Mine is popping up in spots on rocks now. If you determine it's algae or your sandbed gets worse cut your lights back to 6 hours with no white just blue and UV. Dose some good bacteria like PNS probio. Siphon out what you can, maintain adequate flow and keep your parameters stabil with nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .07 range.

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently posted having had a similar problem as you but with dinos and cyanos. . I only dose AB+ but not daily and not the amount specified. I usual do half of it.

Since I noticed the cyano I was interested in how H202 works but I do not want to go down that road. I slowly bumped up the phosphates, reduced the lights a tad, added a conch in the sand bed and a few tectus snails for the rock work and also increase the temp by 2 degrees. I did a gravel vac and a small water change and some people say that doesn't help but I did it just to remove the gunk of the sand bed. Just so you know the tectus was not for cyano, just for other Algae on the rocks.

I see some effect already. I want to give the system the chance to sort itself out without chemical additives. The only thing I put into the system daily is live phyto. I bought some bacto blend from fauna Marin to maybe reboot some bacteria in my tank and remove some unwanted bacteria.. i just dosed for 3 days and stopped. I'm going to wait it out and see how it performs after 2 weeks and most importantly if it adversely affects corals. I believe siphoning out directly to be the best way to control.

You can take a small tube like the one you would use on an RODI unit. Take that and siphon out the cyano directly from the rock through this tube. Since the tube is small you will not be sucking out a lot of water plus it will be easier to get into nooks and crannies of the rock work for siphoning.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back