Is this Cyano?

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve been running just blue for a few weeks, I have this green slime that I’m pretty sure is Cyno but not 100%. I’ve been dosing 10ml of hydrogen peroxide that I premix with some tank water and spot shoot onto the green stuff, I’ve been fighting it for about 2 months, it isn’t spreading but I’d sure like to just finish it off. I have carbon in one of my filter compartment and chopped up a phosphate remover sponge and stuffed it in another. I have two protein skimmers running and I’d say the water is pretty pristine. My phosphates will bump up somewhere between .03-.25 I know that’s a big range but the salifert reagent test is dang hard for me to differentiate the light blue shades, I’d say it’s close to .1ppm. I’ve been doing about 20-25% water changes ever 2-3 weeks

my nitrates are 0
Alk is 10-11 dKH
Cal 415 ppm
PH is 8-8.2

55 gallon all in one cube
I run an addition JUP UV filter/pump combo

2 clown
1 engineer goby
1 rainbow bubble tip
1 long tentacle nem
1 bristle starfish
A dozen or so blue hermits
2 green emeralds
Some sort of conch
Various hitchhiker cleaners (bristleworms, some other little things that live in the sand)

8DEC50E2-E8E9-4802-A0D0-3770F96A835F.jpeg 26DE27A8-502F-430F-ADED-6EA8BC749DC4.jpeg 151C671C-31F5-4990-B6A5-2AAD08FABCFD.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if anyone has any info on why my green trumpet in the bottom center of the sand bed is so unhappy I’d like to figure out how to save him, he’s been shrunk back into his structure for probably 9 months, hasn’t died but hasn’t plumped back up, I’ve moved him from more light to less light, high flow to low flow, and increased and decreased feeding and haven’t found a combination it likes.

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it.
Can you suck it up with a turkey baster? It's eating leftover nutrients most likely.
Do you use a protein skimmer?
D
2 protein skimmers, yeah it blows off easily with the baster, sucking it up not so much but my baster is one of the long skinny ones for feeding have tried an actual baster

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Does look like slime algae which is a type of cyano. What is your lighting and feeding routine like

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the clowns a pinch of pellets daily, once every other week I shut the pump off and spot the corals with reef roids, and once a week (usually Friday) I drop a cube of myosis shrimp in. The lights don’t have adjustments, it’s a pre fixed bar style light that fits between the glass top pieces, I have it in a timer from 7am-9pm

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Does look like slime algae which is a type of cyano. What is your lighting and feeding routine like
I feed the clowns a pinch of pellets daily, once every other week I shut the pump off and spot the corals with reef roids, and once a week (usually Friday) I drop a cube of myosis shrimp in. The lights don’t have adjustments, it’s a pre fixed bar style light that fits between the glass top pieces, I have it in a timer from 7am-9pm

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to try.

That is a long photo period if the lamps are not adjustable. Maybe reduce it to 10-11 hours. I am not too sure what phosphate pad you were referring to. I have had great success with Rowa-Phos. It has limited impact on PH while reducing Po4. Continue to manually remove or blow off what you can. You can use Boyd’s chemi-clean which will remove it, but some tanks react negatively. I used it several times over the years with success.

Why 2 skimmers? Best to have 1 rated for the tank. (Just as a side note)

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to try.

That is a long photo period if the lamps are not adjustable. Maybe reduce it to 10-11 hours. I am not too sure what phosphate pad you were referring to. I have had great success with Rowa-Phos. It has limited impact on PH while reducing Po4. Continue to manually remove or blow off what you can. You can use Boyd’s chemi-clean which will remove it, but some tanks react negatively. I used it several times over the years with success.

Why 2 skimmers? Best to have 1 rated for the tank. (Just as a side note)
They are both rated for the tank size, I had a back up and added it to try and get the water cleaned up better and faster, I change the carbon more frequently as well. This is the phosphate sponge I chop up and add to the filter chamber that has ceramic cylinders in it.

Attachments

• AC50CC84-0838-4B8F-BFBB-F0594213546D.jpeg
    AC50CC84-0838-4B8F-BFBB-F0594213546D.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 23

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that pad. It says it has phosphate absorbing material. I would recommend either GFO or ROWA-Phos as a way to keep Po4 stable.

I would use only 1 skimmer and tune it to be efficient. 2 skimmers are just going to compete against each other.
Be sure you have the correct flow going thru the UV lamp. The amount of flow thru the UV affects what the lamp actually kills.

I would attack it with shorter photo period, get Po4 stable and down, manual cleaning and keep up water changes and continue UV. You can try the Chemiclean also.

As for the Trumpeg, hard to say what is going on. Sounds like you did the right things moving it to different light and flow. Sometimes they get mad and close up, then one day reopen. You can dip it if you are worried about pests if it is new or you put other new coral in tank

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that pad. It says it has phosphate absorbing material. I would recommend either GFO or ROWA-Phos as a way to keep Po4 stable.

I would use only 1 skimmer and tune it to be efficient. 2 skimmers are just going to compete against each other.
Be sure you have the correct flow going thru the UV lamp. The amount of flow thru the UV affects what the lamp actually kills.

I would attack it with shorter photo period, get Po4 stable and down, manual cleaning and keep up water changes and continue UV. You can try the Chemiclean also.

As for the Trumpeg, hard to say what is going on. Sounds like you did the right things moving it to different light and flow. Sometimes they get mad and close up, then one day reopen. You can dip it if you are worried about pests if it is new or you put other new coral in tank
Not too concerned with pests, I’ve had it for about 9 months, was good for about a month and then started shrinking up, stayed the same just never really seems to like where
I put it. I changed the light timer for 10am to 9pm, as for the UV lamp, it’s a UV light and pump combo, has a little filter pad in it, no real way to tune it, it’s kind of
Meant to be a stand alone for a tank that’s not an overflow sump style. I only ever installed it because about 10 months ago I had a ick or velvet outbreak and the cleaner shrimp and UV light seemed to fix the issue so I’ve never shut it down

Attachments

• FC0CDA94-767B-40C2-89AB-A0FDD7E57E85.png
    FC0CDA94-767B-40C2-89AB-A0FDD7E57E85.png
    552.3 KB · Views: 22

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back