Is this Dinos or something else?

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is a stupid question, this is my first saltwater tank. I’ve done plenty of research and reading, and have kept numerous freshwater tanks in the past but this is my first salt. Fairly newly established, after cycling it has been stocked for a couple of months, 167g display tank and 37~g refugium (with refugium growing chaeto - dosing chaeto gro). Currently the tank only had a clown, 6 chromis, and 1 emerald crab. As usual, around this time I’ve started to get a lot of algae coming in, have quite a bit of hair algae towards the lights, and a lot of brown diatom on the sand bed. However over the last week or two I’ve started getting these clear bubbles along the top of my rock scape on both the sides of the tank (only a little bit of this is along the top rocks in the center of the tank). I also have a few of these along the back of the tank. I could be overthinking this and it could just be air bubbles, but seems like a lot? I read quite a bit to ID this and it doesn’t seem like bubble algae cause these are clear, from my understanding those are green. is this Dinos? The only thing I’m confused about is the fact that my nitrates are 17.4 Ppm at the moment, which I hear those thrive in extremely low nitrate and phosphate systems. I haven’t yet got a checked for phosphates. If it is relevant I use tropic Marin reef salt, but do not have coral as of yet. Ph reading 7.6-7.7

Anyone know what this is? If it’s likely just air bubbles or microalgae I’m not concerned, but if dinos it sounds like I should be acting right away.
37872D76-E5DB-4BAB-B6EB-AC0BD3ED65B3.jpeg

Blue Chromiis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Looks like just air bubbles but keep close eye on it and hope don't change to green bubble microalgae or something else. My brother had same thing on he's tank.

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should add that I have a fairly high lighting that runs 8 hours a day currently

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to all, is it normal for these to Show up in a fairly newly established tanks with nitrates just shy of 20ppm? I thought these guys thrive in 0ppm systems. That was what seemed the most off to me.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good way to rid of them is to positively identify it ... with microscope

UV sterilizer is effective.

Check your phosphate , don't let your nutrients bottom out.

Blue Chromiis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before it gets to this serious of a point? Is there a good way of taking care of these?
Easy way to upkeep with this guys are tank cleaners. go to your local fish store. and ask for cleaner. or ask staff for help. And your lights... Do little research on lights online or youtube it.

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to upkeep with this guys are tank cleaners. go to your local fish store. and ask for cleaner. or ask staff for help. And your lights... Do little research on lights online or youtube it.
I planned on getting more crabs and some cleaner shrimp, as well as a foxface within the next month or so. Would you recommend reducing amount of time lights are on?

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce red and white light. Dose po4 to get around.2 and nitrate around 8 if higher it’s ok don't chase the number. Use the blaster to clean the rocks and let the socks filter them out. Uv helps depending on which you have. Trochus snails are good and pin cushion urchin besides that just give it time. Mine looked just like that it’s a mix of algae and Dino’s keep filtering and just give it some time

ccs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need to know about dinos is in this thread, including how to identify them.

Back