Is this even possible...?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested my nitrates with a Salifert test kit. I did two tests at the same time because I had weird readings last time. Both tests showed 10 ppm nitrates. I tested PO4, and color is somewhere between 1-3. Is it even possible to have relatively low nitrates and insanely high phosphates? Is something not adding up? I have some algae growth on my sand, I don't have a CUC yet, they are all in a Qt.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my fish mysis and spirulina brine about 2 hours ago, and I added some phyto to the tank about 45 minutes ago.
Your test results will be skewed. Test again 5-6 hours after any feeding/changes/dosing/etc

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you will not find a piece of algae on my LR. I have some turfy-looking thing on the sand, I need more powerheads clearly, but that's about it. I would expect more algae with the PO4 that high. I will retest it tomorrow as you recommend.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I tested the Qt, and it's the same exact color. Somewhere between 1-3. This is not my test, but I just wanted to show the colors on the chart. Squint your eyes and look at 1-3. Imagine the color in between. Hold your breath if you have to. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
po4.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but what was the prior test? Last week? What number? I test phosphate weekly.
I would say, that it was about 3 weeks ago, and I was at solid 1. I was in the process of slowing my water changes to fight dinos and overfeeding to get nitrates up. It worked, but now I have this pickle to deal with.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I tested the Qt, and it's the same exact color. Somewhere between 1-3. This is not my test, but I just wanted to show the colors on the chart. Squint your eyes and look at 1-3. Imagine the color in between. Hold your breath if you have to. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
po4.jpg
Is your test kit expired?

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try both tanks tomorrow, and see what happens. If not, I'll get another test. I just wanted to know if those numbers were a possibility. What would I see from my corals with phosphates at 2?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back