Is this goni dead?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I had a bad outbreak of cyano killed off some corals and my goni's where gone. Well now that I have everything under control again a couple of my flower pot corals (goniopora is one of them) are sprouting. I never remove the skeletons just for this reason.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or is it just closed up? It's been like this for about a week, some cyano grew over it which irritated it I think about week ago and I blew it off

20220526_161240.jpg
When you say it had cyano grow over it my guess is that it was actually the infection that tends to claim lots of Gonis. Unfortunately I'd say it's probably a goner. However, if that's a polyp I see then there is still a possibility!

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a catch-22, especially if it is recovering slightly. Myself, I'd be inclined to not stress it further (at least for a little while, anyway), but ultimately you probably have a better vantage point to observe how it's actually doing.
I agree, more often than not, I regret moving corals rather than giving them more time to potentially recover.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I had a bad outbreak of cyano killed off some corals and my goni's where gone. Well now that I have everything under control again a couple of my flower pot corals (goniopora is one of them) are sprouting. I never remove the skeletons just for this reason.
this seems to be the case with mine

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say it had cyano grow over it my guess is that it was actually the infection that tends to claim lots of Gonis. Unfortunately I'd say it's probably a goner. However, if that's a polyp I see then there is still a possibility!
what is that infection called? is there a treatment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what is that infection called? is there a treatment
Toxins and likely took it down. Goni generally is not forgiving like many corals. Goniopora are a photosynthetic coral so they derive some of their nutritional requirements from light. This is done through a symbiotic relationship with dinoflagellates called zooxanthellae that live in the flesh of the coral. The dinoflagellates are actually the photosynthetic organism and the Goniopora colony derives nutrients off of the byproducts of the dinoflagellates’ photosynthetic process. Zooxanthellae is usually brown in color and the coral tightly regulates the population living in its flesh. Too little light will cause the coral to turn brown in color.
I would not recommend blasting Goniopora with a lot of light. I don’t think there are a lot of advantages to doing so. If you start to see the coral starting to turn lighter and bleach out, it is likely the result of high lighting intensity. When in doubt, favor lower lighting intensities until it is clear that the coral is demanding more.
One mistake I think some reef keepers make is providing them too much flow. If you have a powerhead blowing right at Goni from short range, it may kill off some of the tissue at that point of contact and cause a chain reaction to the rest of the colony.
Goni appreciate low to medium flow, but preferably random flow. That way you will get that gentle waving motion which helps keep the coral clean and brings food past the colony. If you see the tentacles violently thrashing about, that is probably too much flow and it would benefit from being relocated to a more calm section of the tank.
Lack of food is a big issue with these coral and there are two types of food to provide Goniopora. The first is liquid amino acids. In short, they are simple organic compounds that play a major role in building proteins as well as other biological functions at the cellular level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back