***Is this gonna kill my tank?***

Spark326

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this green hair and red hair algae growing in the tiny compartment of my Aqueon QuietFlow20 filter. Started growing about 1 month ago from nowhere. I have a 10 gallon tank that’s been running for about 4 months. Nitrates and nitrites are low but have not tested phosphate levels.

Everything in it seems to be doing well and the hair algae is not growing anywhere else in the tank. But the water did start to develop a greenish tint but I think that may be due to an overdue water change.

I have about 10 snails in addition to a green emerald and fire shrimp for my cleanup crew.
ECC2E954-F04A-44B5-8897-971B54CEF164.jpeg

ECC2E954-F04A-44B5-8897-971B54CEF164.jpeg
23F7D316-DD41-49BB-B608-E42E69603E73.jpeg
 
@Daddy-o is being both humorous and accurate. Better to have it growing there than on your rock. It is removing nutrient from you water. It is certainly not going to kill or crash anything.

The yellow or green water tint probably means it is time to change out the carbon filter pack in your Aqueon.
 
I used to have a hang on back filter that grew algae like that. I liked it. Like others said it was like an algae scrubber. When it go thick enough I would harvest it and throw it away.
 
I used to have a hang on back filter that grew algae like that. I liked it. Like others said it was like an algae scrubber. When it go thick enough I would harvest it and throw it away.

i thought it might be good to just leave it for nutrient exchange or whatever the algae does..
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new