0   0   0
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.03.11 AM.png

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a fan of no inheriting somebody else's problems...

Got Marco rock, nuked it with acid, let is sit in bins of saltwater with flow and heat, then cured at an aquaranch locally, then into the tank and another few months of waiting.

Looking back, I'd probably skip the curing at the aquaranch since I had no control over what he had in his system... luckily never got a weird hitchhiker / disease... but was playing with fire.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That real live rock is a gift, IMO.

This right here. You're way overthinking this, OP. Get that awesome rock into your tank and get it rockin, you have a huge headstart now, don't squander it!

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rule of thumb..ANYTHING with water on it or in it, live animals, corals or rock QT IT, better safe than sorry my 2 cents. anything with water in it or thats been in water can have unwanted things on or in it :)

banger32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in on someone else's post but I bought this rock for $200 just wanted to know what you guys think. Would this be good rock for my display? The rock was used and sat out of water for a good while. Did I get a good deal? Is it safe to clean it and put in my new tank? Just trying to be safe and don't know enough about rock. Rock will be going in a rsr 170. Thanks
16986918120695821189631963095746.jpg
16986918505019015219361467383131.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in on someone else's post but I bought this rock for $200 just wanted to know what you guys think. Would this be good rock for my display? The rock was used and sat out of water for a good while. Did I get a good deal? Is it safe to clean it and put in my new tank? Just trying to be safe and don't know enough about rock. Rock will be going in a rsr 170. Thanks
Just give it a bleach bath then let it soak in dechlorinator and then bake in the sun for a couple days / weeks, make sure there is no bleach smell left. I would also let it cure in a saltwater bin with some ammonia to create some bacteria and let the rock leach whatever it has to leach. You could test and change the water every couple of weeks until you are satisfied.

Back to my original post... I ended up using the rock in my new tank and everything seems to be doing good! Lots of good stuff on those rocks. I did experience some diatoms in about a week but that's to be expected.
Unfortunately some vermetid snails were introduced but I took take of most of them real quick. I also take out bristle worms when I see them but I don't mind them too much. Other than that, the rock also came with a bunch of corals and I managed to frag a ton of zoas and discomussa's so that was a nice bonus!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back