Is this green hair algae?

saltyfish24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2021
Messages
183
Reaction score
76
Location
MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for yet another what is this algae, but I looked at GHA threads and I didn't think this was it...but I'm not sure. This is illuminated under white light.

I'm referring to the dark green or blue-green spider threads that are waving in current. They only grow off the sand, I don't see any on rocks. My urchin will eat them if it comes across them.

It's not bothering me. There's just a few patches, and they're not even on the brightest parts of the sand.

 
Sorry for yet another what is this algae, but I looked at GHA threads and I didn't think this was it...but I'm not sure. This is illuminated under white light.

I'm referring to the dark green or blue-green spider threads that are waving in current. They only grow off the sand, I don't see any on rocks. My urchin will eat them if it comes across them.

It's not bothering me. There's just a few patches, and they're not even on the brightest parts of the sand.

It looks a little too slimey to be hair algae but I have a very similar case with a red variety, cyanobacteria. It started in a small amount; didn't bother me but trust me once it establishes it grows fast. I'd try target removing some of it now just to be safe.
 
Ew... I actually don't know what that is. But, doesn't look like green hair. A little too dark, thin and I have no idea why it is coming out from the sand. If you have something you use to remove things from the saltwater tank, maybe try picking at it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new