Is this growth on birdsnest after 2 months good?

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture it's eating. Note that there was a tank transfer in the middle.
2monthdif.png

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good growth i would agree with. But I would also say it isnt as happy as it could be. The color has been bleached out of it. This could be a parameter issue, flow issue, lighting issue or combination.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good growth i would agree with. But I would also say it isnt as happy as it could be. The color has been bleached out of it. This could be a parameter issue, flow issue, lighting issue or combination.
Thanks for the input! I agree, I think it is the lighting. There's been a light change but I'll be switching back as I set up a frag tank.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that coral is not happy and looks to be near death. Not bashing.. but something is wrong. That is a super hardy coral. Rugged. It can bounce back but it is on the edge.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that coral is not happy and looks to be near death. Not bashing.. but something is wrong. That is a super hardy coral. Rugged. It can bounce back but it is on the edge.
Thank you for the concern but as I said in the picture it is eating in that photo. I decided to use that as a picture to really show off the growth since you can't see it with its normally extended and bushy polyps. It's very healthy :D

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to say I got the name wrong, forgot this is a pocillopora and not a birdsnest. Sorry about that!

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the concern but as I said in the picture it is eating in that photo. I decided to use that as a picture to really show off the growth since you can't see it with its normally extended and bushy polyps. It's very healthy :D
What do you mean it is eating? It's not like a fish that you can watch eat, the coral does not look good, hopefully it will improve.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely the polyps are retracted from being blasted with coral food. I agree that the coral is not happy and on the brink. May want to move it to a lower light area. What are your no3 and po4 levels at? Growth is decent for 2 months.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was waiting for someone to say that it's a pocillipora and not a birdsnest. Don't worry about feeding it. That coral is kinda like a dandelion if ya kill that theres some things that arent right in your tank

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for someone to say that it's a pocillipora and not a birdsnest. Don't worry about feeding it. That coral is kinda like a dandelion if ya kill that theres some things that arent right in your tank

This is the problem with common names, to many hobbyists, pocillopora, sertiapora and stylophora are all regarded as "birdsnest"

Sertiapora is the true "birds nest"

Stylophora is "cats paw"

Pocillopora is called "cauliflower coral"

Again though, they usually all get lumped together as "birdsnest"

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys need to relax. The lighting is different in both pics. The polyps were retracted from eating. Here it is normally. The lighting is moved to a white light, hence the extreme difference in color.
month2.PNG

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would argue it's bleached.

A purple pocci is a purple pocci regardless of lighting spectrum. My purple looks purple whether it's in blue light, or white lights(I run T5's so mostly white anyways). These corals are not affected by lighting spectrum as some others that have crazy colors under blues.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys need to relax. The lighting is different in both pics. The polyps were retracted from eating. Here it is normally. The lighting is moved to a white light, hence the extreme difference in color.
month2.PNG
Great growth! Keep up what you're doing. Be aware that Pocillopora can get pretty invasive and can take over your tank within a year.

And I would argue it's bleached.

A purple pocci is a purple pocci regardless of lighting spectrum. My purple looks purple whether it's in blue light, or white lights(I run T5's so mostly white anyways). These corals are not affected by lighting spectrum as some others that have crazy colors under blues.
I don't think that this particular specimen is a purple pocillopora. It looks like a standard green/teal pocillopora under white light. It doesn't look bleached to me.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great growth! Keep up what you're doing. Be aware that Pocillopora can get pretty invasive and can take over your tank within a year.

I don't think that this particular specimen is a purple pocillopora. It looks like a standard green/teal pocillopora under white light. It doesn't look bleached to me.
I concur with this fella, green poci and it looks pretty good. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now that I have had a second look, and some lights are on in my house, your right! It does not look like a purple pocci to me either. I rescind my previous comment.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are easy to grow quickly, especially at this size. As it grows, pay attention to shadowing since it can die from the bottom up as the top shades the bottom, especially with point-source lights.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back