Thanks jay - going with fixich and paraguard by Fritz will remove inverts

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fix-ich is strong. Be sure to measure exactly, increase oxygen, maintain Good water quality and regretfully to say- expect the worse within 72 hrs of treatment as it generally takes that long for most medication to effectively reverse the effects

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on how fast things appear to be spiraling out of control, you may be dealing with ich and some other, worse parasite, maybe brook or velvet. I’ve dealt with multiple parasites at once, because of the live rock I got. Besides the angel, did you make any recent additions to your livestock? Any new rocks, corals, or inverts?

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Just the angel - which is ironic. Angel and tang have no symptoms yet. But I’m fishing out all the inverts before I dose. Im
Not a coral guy so don’t have any

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz recommended to do parashield and fixick together. Any thoughts?

MohH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lion fish in the past that got ich....i remember the lion fish shedding its cuticle... maybe this is wha your lion looks fuzzy... in the process os shedding

MohH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i have dosed my fish only display tank with copper power in the past... problem with that is the rocks and sand absorbs the meds so you will need to be able to test the med concentration continuously to ensure it stays at proper levels to actually be effective... with copper power it was removed using polyfilter after the treatment period

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea - I heard about leaching from copper based products. I’m a big fan of the stuff Fritz make. I’m sure there ich stuff is no different. My display is 140g

they advised me to dose. That’s there maracyn oxy

Day1 -Fix Ick (70ml) / Oxy (7tsp)/Parashield (5 ½ tsp)
Day2 – Fix Ick (70ml)/ Oxy (7tsp)
Day3 – WaterChange THEN Oxy (7tsp), and parashield(5 ½ tsp)
Day 4 – Fixick (70ml) /Oxy (7tsp),
Day 5- Fixick (70ml) / Oxy (7tsp), /Paraguard(5 ½ tsp)
Day6- Waterchange Then Parashield(5 ½ tsp)

I’m going to also Chuck some air stones in. Almost got all the inverts out.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now dosed lion doesn’t like it and is swimming around. But the other fish seem ok

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mix Fixich and Paragard - the first has gentian violet and the second has malachite green....two organic dyes at the same time isn't a good idea.

Gentian violet is a really old school medication. I have to quote Nelson Herwig's book (my bible from 1975) "...toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective."

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a large rubber made or such tub at a farm store for pretty cheap if you need a quick QT.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lion has ich, just that it has gone to the stage on it where the trophonts cause skin changes and you start to see cloudy eyes, etc. it could also have other issues, multiple diseases are not heard of.
At this point, even copper may not act fast enough to save the lion, I wouldn’t rely on any “reef safe” medications at this point.
Jay

Don't mix Fixich and Paragard - the first has gentian violet and the second has malachite green....two organic dyes at the same time isn't a good idea.

Gentian violet is a really old school medication. I have to quote Nelson Herwig's book (my bible from 1975) "...toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective."

Jay
Fritz said to use both and gave the above regime. I’ve heard good things in fixich but not heard anything on paraguard.

yikes :/

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active Ingredients: Capsaicin Oil, Chitosan, D-Limonene, Manuka and Neem OilSays the active is

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active Ingredients: Capsaicin Oil, Chitosan, D-Limonene, Manuka and Neem OilSays the active is
Yep - two different products, while I'm not a huge fan of treating fish with essential oils, it shouldn't hurt anything to mix those.

Jay

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - two different products, while I'm not a huge fan of treating fish with essential oils, it shouldn't hurt anything to mix those.

Jay
Haha fair enough. I think your probably right but earlier was in panic made so was just reacting to fix the problems. I don’t know if it will save the lion. But I’m sure it will atleast save some of the other fish. Funily enough the purple has no spots yet. The irony.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So small update. Fish are still swimming. Little bit inactive and washed out there colors but I guess we see what will be tomorrow. They look a little stressed.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are about 15 hours into treatment. Angel died last night which I suspect was patient zero.

lions eyes are still cloudy but he is still alive.

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damm Lion died :/ - however tang and fox are still eating and active

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i thought i would update - Been treating with fix ich for 3 days now. Puffers eyes have started to cloud and I think he is pretty much blind as I watched him swim into a rock. this is very similar to how the lion fish went. the Fox/Tang are fine. they are eating and the fox is spotless.

Im thinking perhaps it could be flukes? because of the eyes clouding? I've dosed the tank with fixich and maracyn-oxy to see if there was any bacterial issues because of the eye thing.

SO ruling out bacterial. my only guess is flukes, i have dipped the fox and specs did come off him and a lot of its slime coat.

i know prazi is fine with the fritz stuff but I've heard that if its clear (my bottle is clear) that its a spoiled bottle? is this try or just nonsense? I've never had a pink prazi but that's supposedly the color.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back