Is this ich on my Mandarin?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the last few days I’ve been seeing some of these small ~1mm grains of white on my Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). Ive found Mandys seem to be the first sign of ich in a tank due to their slime coat from what I’ve read. But I just wanted to see if this is ich and if it is, can I keep it controlled through simply keeping fat fish as I’m not in America and we don’t really have a huge thing with QT.
@Jay Hemdal any ideas?

Just a few photos and a quick video, her breathing rate seems to be fairly normal but may be a bit quicker.
IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are usually the last fish to show signs of ich. They have an awesome slime coat
I think you got that from the same thread I read in which case I’ve read it the wrong way round.

None of the other fish have signs of ich that I know of however my other fish are only Wrasses and Gobies which also have thick slimecoats. There are no ich prone fish in the tank as I can’t have large tangs (it’s only a 3’x16”x1’ nano).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that that’s ich, as mentioned these guys don’t usually show it and are pretty disease resistant. It could just be grains if sand stuck to the slime coat.
Keep an eye on it and how the spots develop.
That’s my hope but just wanted to make sure as I feel it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think ich is in virtually every tank especially established tanks but if the environment is well maintained and the fish are stress free then the ich never beats the fish immune system to get a hold.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
for the last few days I’ve been seeing some of these small ~1mm grains of white on my Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). Ive found Mandys seem to be the first sign of ich in a tank due to their slime coat from what I’ve read. But I just wanted to see if this is ich and if it is, can I keep it controlled through simply keeping fat fish as I’m not in America and we don’t really have a huge thing with QT.
@Jay Hemdal any ideas?

Just a few photos and a quick video, her breathing rate seems to be fairly normal but may be a bit quicker.
IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

I have a gut feeling these are sand grains. They have a heavier mucus and sand may be sticking to it but keep an eye on it for signs of them being gone the next 12 hours and not multiplying

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is ich. UNLESS - (and suggest you do it) - put something in the tank (a thin rod - to make the fish move - if they fall off quickly - its sand. Also - another clue - do the spots come and go - Sand is certainly a possibility - however - sand is not a problem - if it's Ich - I would rather be on top of it. Careful observation is key here IMHO

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw - Don't panic based on what I said - there is no way to know what it was based on the picture. I will say, however - sand grains are rare - ich is common. I'm also not sure that the common wisdom that its sand meets with my observations - which is that sand grains often fall off quite quickly - if they are persisting - or going to different positions - I would be aware

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is ich. UNLESS - (and suggest you do it) - put something in the tank (a thin rod - to make the fish move - if they fall off quickly - its sand. Also - another clue - do the spots come and go - Sand is certainly a possibility - however - sand is not a problem - if it's Ich - I would rather be on top of it. Careful observation is key here IMHO
With its heavy mucus, the sand likely will NOT dislodge from being startled. When I had my mandarin, its constantly had sand on itself and slowly fell off why I mentioned 12 hours.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal any ideas?

IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

Nice fat mandarin, good to see!

I also think these are mucus plugs or sand grains. the spots are standing out too much and a few of them are pretty large. Ich will have more diffuse edging, tend to be more similar in size and smaller overall. Still, it bears watching of course. Ich spots will change location and change in numbers every few days. Mucus plus are more steady and sand will come and go completely depending on circumstances like stirring up the tank, etc.

Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back