Is this ich?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a qt running with wrasses, a mandarin, gobies, jawfish, and an anthias. I acclimated a black molly from FW to sw for disease detection. I noticed a few white spots on the molly late last night. Today, the spots look to be gone. I’m aware that ich can fall off and come back. Does this look like ich? There is sand in the qt tank for the leopard wrasses to sleep in, so I’m hoping it’s sand, but I'm cautious. I’m concerned about treating the qt with copper given that wrasses, mandarins, gobies, and anthias can be sensitive to copper. I have copper power on hand if needed. I could ramp it up slowly if needed. I added the black molly Monday evening, saw white spots Friday evening. White spots look to be gone saturaday afternoon. I will continue to monitor. I know I could do the TTM, but there’s concern about that stressing out the fish as much as copper. I’m also concerned about having enough sterile sand and hideouts for the fish for each transfer. Trying to decide what to do. One week ago, last friday, 10/20, I saw my pintail wrasse twitching, shaking head, and scratching gills. Assumed it was flukes since I didn’t see white spots. Performed one treatment with prazipro. Added carbon 48 hours after treatment to remove prazipro. Haven’t seen scratching/twitching since. Last night, before I saw the spots on the molly, I added second dose of prazipro (7 days after first treatment) to kill any flukes that could’ve hatched. Then I saw the white spots on the molly, so I added carbon to remove the prazipro, so that I could possibly add copper in 24 hours after the prazipro was removed. Not seeing other symptoms, but I could be missing it since I’m not watching the tank 24/7. Fish are eating and swimming. Anthias hasn’t eaten yet and has been hiding in a tube, but has only been in qt since Tuesday, and I assume is still adjusting. If I do copper, should I dose full amount immediately or slowly ramp up?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_9104.jpeg

Last edited:

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be sand but if it comes back it’s safe to assume it’s ich and start your copper treatment. Even if it’s not ich it’s best quarantine with copper anyway. If it starts showing other symptoms like heavy/rapid breathing I would do full dose instantly but if not I would ramp up slowly like normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It could be sand but if it comes back it’s safe to assume it’s ich and start your copper treatment. Even if it’s not ich it’s best quarantine with copper anyway. If it starts showing other symptoms like heavy/rapid breathing I would do full dose instantly but if not I would ramp up slowly like normal.
Thanks. So I guess I’ll wait to see if it comes back. I’m just worried at that point that it will be too late. I’m also concerned about treating wrasses, mandarin, and anthias with copper. I don’t want to lose any of them to copper if they didn’t need copper. But I also don’t want to not treat and lose fish to ich. Its a dilemma.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So I guess I’ll wait to see if it comes back. I’m just worried at that point that it will be too late. I’m also concerned about treating wrasses, mandarin, and anthias with copper. I don’t want to lose any of them to copper if they didn’t need copper. But I also don’t want to not treat and lose fish to ich. Its a dilemma.
Personally I would just start copper anyway just to be safe but it’s up to you. I think it might be the same for anthias but you can qt wrasse in copper you just need to ramp it up slower than other fish. Like over the course of a week slow. So because of that it would be best to start slowly ramping up copper now rather than later when its too late because if the molly does actually have ich its safe to assume the anthias and wrasse have ich too.

You will want to use something different for the mandarin like TTM but mandarins have a slime coat that protects them from ich, so It's not completely impossible for them to get Ich but they are less likely to get sick than other fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Personally I would just start copper anyway just to be safe but it’s up to you. I think it might be the same for anthias but you can qt wrasse in copper you just need to ramp it up slower than other fish. Like over the course of a week slow. So because of that it would be best to start slowly ramping up copper now rather than later when its too late because if the molly does actually have ich its safe to assume the anthias and wrasse have ich too.

You will want to use something different for the mandarin like TTM but mandarins have a slime coat that protects them from ich, so It's not completely impossible for them to get Ich but they are less likely to get sick than other fish.
I’ve read that the mandarin could be ok if I ramp it up slowly. I’m prepping for TTM. I have an extra tank and equipment for it already. It’s just so much work, and I’m concerned about stressing them out. Still debating which way to go, but I’ll do either TTM or copper starting tomorrow, once all the prazipro is out of the tank. I started carbon around 2am last night, so I want to give the carbon at least 24 hours to remove the prazipro before I start copper. Just scared. Don’t want to lose any fish to copper. And the anthias hasn’t eaten yet, so I haven’t wanted to start copper until after he/she starts eating. But I also don’t want to wait too long to start copper.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that the mandarin could be ok if I ramp it up slowly. I’m prepping for TTM. I have an extra tank and equipment for it already. It’s just so much work, and I’m concerned about stressing them out. Still debating which way to go, but I’ll do either TTM or copper starting tomorrow, once all the prazipro is out of the tank. I started carbon around 2am last night, so I want to give the carbon at least 24 hours to remove the prazipro before I start copper. Just scared. Don’t want to lose any fish to copper. And the anthias hasn’t eaten yet, so I haven’t wanted to start copper until after he/she starts eating. But I also don’t want to wait too long to start copper.
Just curious, were the fish ok?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back