Is this lobophora?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well someone just mentioned I may have lobophora. Now I'm pretty concerned, what do you guys think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptoseris

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say it is lobophora or not. I see why you think it could be. I know it is more difficult to treat it than other forms of algae, you could try cutting nutrients, I've heard Sally Light Foot crabs and Naso (Naso lituratus /elegans) tangs will eat it but I don't know how large your tank is.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a thirty gallon, three months old. The brown spots can pretty easily be scraped away. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to circle what your trying to point out, cant really see what your talking about
Sorry guys. The brown spots on my rocks, they are definitely some type of algae. I just assumed they were new tank uglies, and would go away. They are sticking around, and seem to be growing.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry guys. The brown spots on my rocks, they are definitely some type of algae. I just assumed they were new tank uglies, and would go away. They are sticking around, and seem to be growing.
Just continue scraping coralline algae, it will grow over or next to it and fight it off.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Scraping coraline algae?
Lol sorry im out of it today, this is a new tank right? Tangs eat lobo hermitz ,urchins ,some snails will too, but from what ive seen coralline could run lobo down. Its really nothing to worry about, i wouldnt try scraping it off though. If you can get your hands on some frags of snails with coralline algae, try to promote its growth so it can compete with it. Otherwise if its unsightly, just target with peroxide

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's Lobophora. Lobophora is really smooth and grows out from one central location. This looks more like brown algae from a new tank. Where did you get the rock you put in? I'm guessing it was either dead rock (previously live rock, but was dried out so all the bacteria and 'live' of the rock died) or was dry rock. Did you rinse the rock before you put it in the tank (I pressure wash dry)? If not, it' probably leaching nitrates and phosphates which causes the algae growth. As your bacteria builds up, it will help cut it down. The trick is for the bacteria to build up, it needs nutrients and if the algae already has a foothold, it can need some help to out compete the algae.

Bottom line is it's most likely part of the normal tank cycling. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overrun the tank, but it will probably get to a point where it will start to die back down.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol sorry im out of it today, this is a new tank right? Tangs eat lobo hermitz ,urchins ,some snails will too, but from what ive seen coralline could run lobo down. Its really nothing to worry about, i wouldnt try scraping it off though. If you can get your hands on some frags of snails with coralline algae, try to promote its growth so it can compete with it. Otherwise if its unsightly, just target with peroxide
Yeah, tank is three months old this Thursday, going to have a small birthday for it. My girlfriend said she won't be attending, she doesn't understand. Any more details when you say target with peroxide?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's Lobophora. Lobophora is really smooth and grows out from one central location. This looks more like brown algae from a new tank. Where did you get the rock you put in? I'm guessing it was either dead rock (previously live rock, but was dried out so all the bacteria and 'live' of the rock died) or was dry rock. Did you rinse the rock before you put it in the tank (I pressure wash dry)? If not, it' probably leaching nitrates and phosphates which causes the algae growth. As your bacteria builds up, it will help cut it down. The trick is for the bacteria to build up, it needs nutrients and if the algae already has a foothold, it can need some help to out compete the algae.

Bottom line is it's most likely part of the normal tank cycling. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overrun the tank, but it will probably get to a point where it will start to die back down.
Yeah it was dry rock, soaked it for a couple weeks then dipped it in muratic acid.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it.
Thinking is some sort of cycling appearance.
I had them too a few years back but the slowly disappeared.
Coraline took them over, it was weird though as it was a maroon kind of coraline algae, no it wasn't cyano.
It was solid to the touch same as the purple coraline.

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna see a wide variety of ugly algae since you started with clean, dry rock. It's all normal, just go with the flow. All part of the maturation.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, makes me feel a lot better. Is it a pretty uncommon algae? Until today I haven't heard of it.

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this is old thread, but I recently have similar algae, just wondering how's your tank now? Those algae just goes away?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back