Is this "non-reefing" tool one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

• YES

Votes: 149 39.4%
  • NO

Votes: 105 27.8%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 116 30.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How timely! I just took down 120 gallon aquarium getting ready for a move and I told the guy that bought it at a shop vac is the best tool ever for keeping a reef tank. What a great way to get the sand bits out of the bottom of the sump and the tank When taking it down.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I used a "shop vac" (ridgid actually), was when a carpet anemone parasailed into the overflow and flooded my floor. No anemones anymore so no need for a vac. Never even considered using one for tank maintainence.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one to use for my tank and reduce it down to ½inch and clean algae of my rocks but havent used it yet. Curious to its ability/ ppwer for that. I've Been using ½" hose reduced to ¼" at the cleaning end and sometimes a wide angle locline return at the end to scrape/ vaccum the glass & overflow with an external sicce & my siohon hose going off the deck to a drywell. Worked well..just a pain to prime sometimes. (I Always use & reccomend remote outlet keychain fobs for turning off & on pumps with cleaning & water changes.)

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great. Get a good one for low cost and just know that it might not last a long time dealing with salt. However, mine has not died yet. Their motors are sealed, so saltwater, theoretically, should not effect these vacuums, but ya never know.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 3 of them but I don't use one for my fish tank. I have other pumps that I use but if you want to suck sand. See the review below.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer an all encompassing solution for vacuuming the sump (40 gallons) and performing water changes. I find the vac storage receptacle is too small for any meaningful project on a larger tank. I use a transfer pump and hose. In my garage is the mixing station where I prepare up to 60 gallons of new saltwater. I use the transfer pump and hose to extract the water (and also vacuum the sump) into a utility sink. Next, swap the hose connections (use quick connects with shutoff) and pump the new water from the garage into the tank. Very fast process, clean and no buckets. 30 gallons every 7 to 10 days, 60 gallons once a month, vacuum the sump every other month.

For the sand-bed, I use a siphon into a 5 gallon bucket occasionally.

Him on water change day

Attachments

• 480505F4-C6D1-48B2-B2ED-2F8DB25175DF.jpeg
    480505F4-C6D1-48B2-B2ED-2F8DB25175DF.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 64

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never once needed to use one, and I can't think of when I would. Salt creep? Brush it off. Clean out a sump? I do that with a python when doing a water change. Cleaning up rodi? Towels (unless you forget to turn of rodi for a long time. Spilled salt? broom and a normal vacuum (if needed). A shop vac is just to big and cumbersome for me to find a good use for it.
I would agree. Your statement is an Occam's razor explanation for tank clean ups. The simplest is usually right

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good for those annual RODI whoopsy moments, but I think turkeybaster is the top non reef tool reef tool.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

Yes. Had it and it was not intended for the tanks but it is part of my tool items for the tanks

2. What are some ways you use a Shop Vac for reefing?

In addition to a popped hose resulting in a leak, it is a savior for picking up water under my tank. Also useful when I do forget to turn off the RO unit and it results in a small flood.

3. What Shop Vac do you use and recommend?

I have two types. My favorite- Dayton and the other is a craftsman.

RO joke.jpg

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

Yes. Had it and it was not intended for the tanks but it is part of my tool items for the tanks

2. What are some ways you use a Shop Vac for reefing?

In addition to a popped hose resulting in a leak, it is a savior for picking up water under my tank. Also useful when I do forget to turn off the RO unit and it results in a small flood.

3. What Shop Vac do you use and recommend?

I have two types. My favorite- Dayton and the other is a craftsman.

RO joke.jpg
Well that picture is getting saved

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prob have half a dozen shop vacs, I’ve only ever used one on a tank to drain a sump.

This question should be about the turkey baster #mvp

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I would have bought one just for the aquarium but I do use one to get the last bit of water and detritus out of the sump when I clean it. And like any other tool spend according to use; If you are going to use it alot go for something nice, if not buy the cheapest you can. I think mine is a home depot brand. very rarely used.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely helps clean up tanks but whenever I’m working on projects, like cutting of drilling glass, it makes the workspace cleaner and safer. They’re relatively inexpensive and work very well. Great if you love DIY projects.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because while I absolutely love my shop vac and ease of cleaning my sumps. Maybe it worked to well for me lol!
I recently cleaned my sumps after a year. Emptied them both into brute cans, removed rock as good as I could and vacuumed the bottoms spotless.
While doing this I thought maybe I should only do one sump and stagger the other for a month or 2 but I had it all torn apart and went for it.
Now I have a cyano break out in my sumps that im dealing with.
I knew better. I always kind of know better then I tell my self told you so.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my shopvac if I need to pick up a major spill fast. There really isn't anything comparable. Mine is the 16g shopvac brand. It's a beast. Just have to remember to pull the paper filter bag I use in the wood shop before using it for wet stuff.

For in-tank/sump work I prefer a python siphon. Although it certainly will clog easier, the waste water goes straight to the drain.

As someone else suggested, I also have a Hoover Steam Vac that is useful for cleaning up spills on the carpet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back