Is this normal for an encrusting coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chiefifd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chiefifd

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2014
Messages
301
Reaction score
170
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal for an
tempImageujK4Xk.png
encrusting coral? I'm looking at the red fibers at the top middle of the Coral.
 
Nope won't blow off.... Better to just remove the coral??? I've had it for 5 or 6 years, and it had been in poor shape
 
I'm thinking it's something I don't want to spread...... Maybe I'll take the coral out, & take a small cutting from the edges. Dip it and see what happens.
 
What might you try ???

I was thinking about taking good...or seemingly healthy tissue not near the problem area. Placing it or pieces onto a plug or two.
Does that seem to lessen the chance of an unwanted outbreak
 
What might you try ???

I was thinking about taking good...or seemingly healthy tissue not near the problem area. Placing it or pieces onto a plug or two.
Does that seem to lessen the chance of an unwanted outbreak
I'm not sure you need to worry about an "outbreak". My concern would be that coral's health. Is the red stuff covering part of the live coral? Is the flesh receding?

I can't imagine that a small bit of algae on one coral would make anyone decide to frag it either.

Maybe if you can get better pics of the stuff in question... I may not be understanding the situation.
 
I'm not sure you need to worry about an "outbreak". My concern would be that coral's health. Is the red stuff covering part of the live coral? Is the flesh receding?

I can't imagine that a small bit of algae on one coral would make anyone decide to frag it either.

Maybe if you can get better pics of the stuff in question... I may not be understanding the situation.
Could it be red cotton candy algae?
 
I will try to get a better photo tomorrow. I believe a bare-spot on the top of the coral did happen prior to the hair type "growth".
 
It is in a low flow area, sitting on the tank bottom.........
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new