Is this normal for new gps

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this gps 2 days ago and I was just wondering if this was normal

C2923C32-4C5C-448A-A78F-A72397C18595.jpeg 886C6E1B-A0B4-4CBC-8F89-3C8789FDD16C.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's been in your tank for 2 days closed up, then it is unhappy about something.

That's what the parameters would help with.

What lights are you using and what schedule are you running?

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been in your tank for 2 days closed up, then it is unhappy about something.

I’m using some white led lights and some blue led lights I have some full spectrum lights coming by the 16th but the guy at petco said my lights would do for now

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Their parameters could be out of wack, but IME, GSP can take several days, even a week or more to open back up after putting it into a new tank.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is pretty high up on the rocks, it is always best to start coral in much lower levels of light and slowly move them closer to where you want over the course of a couple weeks. If you don't know your par you should take even more caution and a lot of leds these days can create hotspots and laser beams of light that can be very stressful to new coral. Also GSP is considered by many to be a pest as it can easily encrust over all of the rock so many people choose to isolate it on an island or the back glass.

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is pretty high up on the rocks, it is always best to start coral in much lower levels of light and slowly move them closer to where you want over the course of a couple weeks. If you don't know your par you should take even more caution and a lot of leds these days can create hotspots and laser beams of light that can be very stressful to new coral. Also GSP is considered by many to be a pest as it can easily encrust over all of the rock so many people choose to isolate it on an island or the back glass.
Do you know if the or3 lights are any good

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve also had similar situations when handling a coral too roughly when adding it to my tank. We all know how annoying/difficult it can be to remove a frag plug or scrape off hitchhikers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While it will occasionally do this, there is something off such as:
Too much light
too much water flow
high nitrates
High or low salinity
PH issue

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it will occasionally do this, there is something off such as:
Too much light
too much water flow
high nitrates
High or low salinity
PH issue
I agree it’s very likely. Then again, my gsp closes up for a day or so every time I hit it with the turkey baster aggressively

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of things to consider when planning lighting. A lot of different brands compete in this space and no one brand rules in every aspect. The Orpheks are designed with single/sometimes double, leds under individual lenses. This style of light can have great penetrating depth but performs the worst in terms of blending, however you can mount the lights higher (around 16in) to even out the blending. Higher mounting reduces par but you gain the benefit of having the light out of the way during maintenance. The Or3 specifically is designed as more of a supplemental light, much how t5s are used these days and would not be cost effective to use on its own. I encourage you to read up on lighting, research definitely pays in this area where many reefers have thousands of dollar invested. The leader in LED atm is Ecotech, and their sister company Aqua Illumination. The best source I have found for information about any single light is the BRS Investigates series.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre PAR monsters and very good with the new 5w diodes. I have 6 of them and 5 atlantiks and you could not get better penetration.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back