Is this normal?

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I'm new to this hobby. I've had these zoas for about three weeks now and often there's a couple of polyps that open and close or don't open all the way up. I have two other zoa frags that were put in two weeks ago and they are fully open during lights on. The other two have only 5 and 9 polyps though I'm not sure if that matters. Basically I'm wondering if they're still acclimating or do I have a pest. I dipped them in coral rx but I don't know what to look for. I've watched some videos and looked at photos of pests and coral dipping but again I'm a newb. What do you guys look at your corals with? Magnifying glass? I kinda wish I used one before I placed these guys in my tank. I don't see anything moving or eggs with my naked eye. Any tips on what to look for or how/when to look? Thanks for any advice.
Oh also there's one polyp (I think it's the same one) that extends/reaches above the others but remains closed when doing so. At other times when it's open it is not reaching. And there are times when they all seem to be open and ok.

Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 10
Cal 360
Alk 9
PH 8.2
Mag 1485

Photos taken with my phone. Kinda crappy!
1521413383713.jpg
1521413415658.jpg
1521413446379.jpg
1521414707887.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second to last pic, almost looks like there's an asterina star on one of the polyps. That could be an issue.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoos can take time. I have had zoos open same day I put in tank, and others that took 1-4 weeks to fully open. I think it depends on the where they came from and what kind of lighting it was accustomed too... Also you should consider dosing. 2 Part Bionic would be the easist for you to start... Your calcium is low, dosing would help raise your calcium.... Try and bump up to 400-450.....

Also how often are you doing water changes to replenish your minerals?

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm thinking if you guys believe something is bothering these zoas (that they shouldn't be opening, closing, half or partly opened all throughout the day) then I'll try another more thorough dip/cleaning and try to get a better look.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see in those pics above it looks pretty normal...... I see that with mine from time to time... You have 20-30 polys of zoos and one is closed, or partially open...

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see in those pics above it looks pretty normal...... I see that with mine from time to time... You have 20-30 polys of zoos and one is closed, or partially open...
Yes pretty much. Lol I usually over think things, but I don't know what's normal and what is a problem. And I was basing it on the other 2 frags being always open but with only a few polyps. That and zero experience with these things. Thanks for replying to my thread! [emoji3]

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoos can take time. I have had zoos open same day I put in tank, and others that took 1-4 weeks to fully open. I think it depends on the where they came from and what kind of lighting it was accustomed too... Also you should consider dosing. 2 Part Bionic would be the easist for you to start... Your calcium is low, dosing would help raise your calcium.... Try and bump up to 400-450.....

Also how often are you doing water changes to replenish your minerals?
I've been doing weekly water changes at 15% so about 11 gallon on the 75 gallon tank. It's been running about 3 months.
I'm going to look into that two part Bionic you mentioned. Thank you

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if most of the Polyps are open you should be fine. Bumping your calcium would help over all, for all of your corals. Depending on how many corals you have, they all draw off the available calcium. If your draw is bigger than what you are replenishing on water changes, dosing would most certainly help.. Your corals need calcium to grow.... :) . Happy Reefing as Randy would say...

Back