Is this normal?

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I've noticed this from all my Torches, Hammers, and Frogspawns. I noticed that this part of these corals is showing, but only during the day when the lights are on. They are doing great. It's been a few months. They open every day with no problem. I just wanted to know why I see the flesh and in some other tanks I'll see other people's corals not showing flesh

74309E9F-DEF7-4186-B447-69629CB50D50.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what kind of par values they get? What lights/settings are you using (plus the mounting height)

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what kind of par values they get? What lights/settings are you using (plus the mounting height)
I haven't looked into a par meter. However, I'm on 1 AI Prime (a 2nd one is coming this week for the tank which is a 40B. I was told they are deprived of adequate light so they are reaching up for light). I'm running max UV, Blue, Purple, and Royal, 17% red and green, 7% whites. The corals in the picture are at the top half of the tank but by the side to offset too much flow. Mounting height is about 10in. It ramps from 7-8:30, then max from 8:30 a.m to 7:30 p.m then ramps down from 7:30 to 8:30.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked into a par meter. However, I'm on 1 AI Prime (a 2nd one is coming this week for the tank which is a 40B. I was told they are deprived of adequate light so they are reaching up for light). I'm running max UV, Blue, Purple, and Royal, 17% red and green, 7% whites. The corals in the picture are at the top half of the tank but by the side to offset too much flow. Mounting height is about 10in. It ramps from 7-8:30, then max from 8:30 a.m to 7:30 p.m then ramps down from 7:30 to 8:30.

Hmm ok. Be careful with running max on those lights (especially UV and Violet) as it can melt the lens. If they are on the sides of the tank, it might be a little low in terms of intensity (but maybe not). If you do rent a par meter, its likely fine to be on the lower end of the recommended values so long as your light has a high output of the Violet/Blue spectrum). I wouldn't stress out. Its better to slightly underlight than to overlight in my opinion.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok. Be careful with running max on those lights (especially UV and Violet) as it can melt the lens. If they are on the sides of the tank, it might be a little low in terms of intensity (but maybe not). If you do rent a par meter, its likely fine to be on the lower end of the recommended values so long as your light has a high output of the Violet/Blue spectrum). I wouldn't stress out. Its better to slightly underlight than to overlight in my opinion.
Good to know. I've been told that. I'm a yr in and still so much to learn. Once the second light comes I'll turn both intensities down because of what you said and also to avoid hot spots and over exposure to the corals in the middle/top (Monticaps). Thanks! I appreciate you!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back