Is this Pinched Mantle?

Chris.miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little back story. I have had this clam for over 3 months. t. Maxima... All of my perams are fine and haven't swung at all really. Last night I was looking at the tank before the lights went out and noticed the mantle was receded on that side. So I did a water change last night just in case. Woke up this morning and the clam is doing it again... Now I am getting a little worried... Nothing has been nipping at him that I am aware of and no coral near by to sting him. The only thing that has changed recently is my pistol shrimp and goby have been making sand storm building their new tunnel.he was fully open and happy until last night. please help! Thanks for your time!
aZYHdzY.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my experience that when a clam withdraws away from the margins of the shell death typically followed. PMD appears as a ruffle to the mantle along the edges. I have kept pistols with clams in the sand bed without issue.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he attached to the rockface? Has his fibers been torn?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like PM. It looks like the beginning of the end - sorry and I hope that I am wrong.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the pic but just how clean is your tank. Clams are filter feeders. 3 months is plenty of time for one to starve to death. One reason it is highly recommend that one goes into a well established tank only.
I personally waited 2yrs before adding a T. Maxima. Chose the exact spot before hand and haven't touched it since. This was back in March 2016.
Here she is today. Notice the growth? Very good sign!
IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

Last edited:

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the pic but just how clean is your tank. Clams are filter feeders. 3 months is plenty of time for one to starve to death. One reason it's is highly recommend that one goes into a well established tank only.
I personally waited 2yrs before adding a T. Maxima. Chose the exact spot before hand and haven't touched it since. This was back in March 2016.
Here she is today. Notice the growth? Very good sign!
IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

[emoji102][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the pinched mantle from lack of particulates and low alk, so don't assume you need to dip it. A good large water change over the period of a day or two helps a lot imo.
As far as when to introduce them, it depends on more than several factors.
WP_20161209_17_44_47_Pro.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back