KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my pulsing Xenia complete dead or does it have any chance of recovering.
If the cause of Xenia’s death Was possibly death by was being colonized and eaten by some kind spaghetti worms and bristle worms? The bristle worm was entirely red a little less than 6inches which is why I’m afraid that this bristle worm might actually be fireworm.
Any advice for how to improve my Xenia on deaths door or what type of coral/anemone that would be able to survive these predators? Or other inverts or fish that could live in a 3.5G tank that could eat or compete with the spaghetti worm’s resources? If I notice that I’m still having issues after dealing with the spaghetti worms, could I introduce any other invert or fish, maybe hermit crabs, or add more bottom dwelling to starve out the fireworm by outcompeting it for resources if that is possible against fireworms? There is currently a single giant Mexican turbo snail, macroalgae, micro bristle stars, and copedods also in the tank with some live rock

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'm not seeing any life there. From your description you more then likely have a common bristle worm and not a fire worm. That coral died from other reasons then a spaghetti or bristle worm killing it.

The bristle worm was doing what they are supposed to do, cleaning up dead decaying matter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spaghetti worms seemed to be entering the Xenia tissues, taking up home in their soft tissues and sticking tentacles out through the Xenia’s tissue. I also noticed what looked like bite marks on the Xenia. With one main stalk looking like it got chomped off and other injuries like splitting a stalks of a polyp apart leaving it it’s innards exposed and losing its ability to keep itself upright.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'm not seeing any life there. From your description you more then likely have a common bristle worm and not a fire worm. That coral died from other reasons then a spaghetti or bristle worm killing it.

The bristle worm was doing what they are supposed to do, cleaning up dead decaying matter.
I transferred what was left of the Xenia frag to a different aquarium that houses a Zoa that is doing excellent and doesn’t have spaghetti worms and probably not bristle/fire worms that I have noticed . I am noticed immediately that the remaining Xenia stalks were growing tiny little fingers started growing that are pulsing. Maybe it still has a chance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lack of nutrients- they love dirty water. I highly recommend dosing phyto/coral food to help it!
I made sure that water was dirty- it’s a pico tank and I was doing 90% water changes about once a week, I put some dried seaweeds and hermit crab pellets, but still couldn’t get nutrients up I think because of boom in spaghetti worm population. The population seems to be in decline now

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure that water was dirty- it’s a pico tank and I was doing 90% water changes about once a week, I put some dried seaweeds and hermit crab pellets, but still couldn’t get nutrients up I think because of boom in spaghetti worm population. The population seems to be in decline now
90% weekly is a huge water change- could be that fluctuation and lack of stability that’s causing the deterioration. I would recommend reducing the amount you take out on a weekly basis

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% weekly is a huge water change- could be that fluctuation and lack of stability that’s causing the deterioration. I would recommend reducing the amount you take out on a weekly basis
For context the tank is barely 3.5G, probably less, which I have heard required nearly 100% water changes by some people on YouTube who have these beautiful 3gallons or less lanes and do 100 % water changes for these tiny tanks. He might have a fish though. I’d totally agree with you if it was a traditionally sized tank (5gallons and up).
I just did a test of ammonia and it was elevated, probably because the population of spaghetti worms just crashed. But the Xenia stopped pulsing completely about 48 hours after acclimating it to my tank and started to look dead. I can try reduce the volume of my water changes and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context the tank is barely 3.5G, probably less, which I have heard required nearly 100% water changes by some people on YouTube who have these beautiful 3gallons or less lanes and do 100 % water changes for these tiny tanks. He might have a fish though. I’d totally agree with you if it was a traditionally sized tank (5gallons and up).
I just did a test of ammonia and it was elevated, probably because the population of spaghetti worms just crashed. But the Xenia stopped pulsing completely about 48 hours after acclimating it to my tank and started to look dead. I can try reduce the volume of my water changes and see if that helps.
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the ammonia is a side effect of the massive water changes, as it disrupts the nitrogen cycle and removes significant amounts of bacteria. If there is high ammonia, it is proving that bacteria cannot keep up with amounts of waste; reduced feeding and stable parameters are the best way to go about this. I mean no disrespect, and don’t doubt there’s someone out there who has success with those sized water changes, but I think very few systems can thrive with that kind of fluctuation, nano and show size tanks alike. I wish you the best, and hope your reef thrives :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the ammonia is a side effect of the massive water changes, as it disrupts the nitrogen cycle and removes significant amounts of bacteria. If there is high ammonia, it is proving that bacteria cannot keep up with amounts of waste; reduced feeding and stable parameters are the best way to go about this. I mean no disrespect, and don’t doubt there’s someone out there who has success with those sized water changes, but I think very few systems can thrive with that kind of fluctuation, nano and show size tanks alike. I wish you the best, and hope your reef thrives :)
I appreciate your response! I would prefer doing a 10-20% water change anyways. Is once a week ideal for water changes?

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your response! I would prefer doing a 10-20% water change anyways. Is once a week ideal for water changes?
Once a week is ideal, but if you’re still chasing nitrates, you can do a 20%, wait a couple days, then another 20%. This gives the bacteria time to recoup before hand :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week is ideal, but if you’re still chasing nitrates, you can do a 20%, wait a couple days, then another 20%. This gives the bacteria time to recoup before hand :)
When you say chasing nitrates do you mean chasing them down? My tanks tend to have more of a problem with undetectable nitrates. In that case would once a week 20% change be the best option?

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say chasing nitrates do you mean chasing them down? My tanks tend to have more of a problem with undetectable nitrates. In that case would once a week 20% change be the best option?
Honestly, if you’re wanting higher nitrates and have less corals, I would start with 10%. Fewer corals = fewer waste, and they use less minerals/elements in the water. Just start with 10, and test regularly to see where your tank is. One thing I’ve learned is nothing good happens quickly in this hobby- take it slow and let your tank adjust!

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back