Is this Red/Pink Mertensii Rare?

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the Bay Area for the Labor Day weekend and decided to visit Violet Aquarium in San Jose. They had this beautiful red and pink Mertensii that I had to have. It has white stripes too.
Thought I’d post some photos and a video of it since there aren’t that many of them in the hobby.
IMG_4677.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I've seen orange ones but never red. The white spots/splotches are sometimes stress related and may fade over time (this happens with haddoni more frequently). Once you've fully acclimated it, go ahead and let me know when I can pick it up, along with the green gig. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the Bay Area for the Labor Day weekend and decided to visit Violet Aquarium in San Jose. They had this beautiful red and pink Mertensii that I had to have. It has white stripes too.
Thought I’d post some photos and a video of it since there aren’t that many of them in the hobby.
IMG_4677.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

Amazing looking!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes they put it on there for me to buy it. It wasn’t available for online purchase. I was going to have the shop ship the nem to me initially.

It’s a gorgeous specimen. I’ve never seen a Mertensii in anything outside of brown with orange tips.

They have gigs as well? Interesting.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals anonymous has something similar to yours. They're calling it a "pink Haitian Carpet anemone." It looks awfully like yours. What do you think?

Screenshot 2023-09-14 212856.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it truly is Haitian, I'm fearful that it's a S. helianthus. If so, they are not a clownfish hosting species and should be avoided if you have clownfish. In the photo there are obviously clownfish in the anemone, but that doesn't mean that they won't be eaten.

OP
OP
CoralsAddiction

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it truly is Haitian, I'm fearful that it's a S. helianthus. If so, they are not a clownfish hosting species and should be avoided if you have clownfish. In the photo there are obviously clownfish in the anemone, but that doesn't mean that they won't be eaten.
I was thinking the same thing about the name of the anemone. If it reflects the region it came from then it’s not a true hosting anemone. But I did also looked at some Helianthus photos and its tentacles do appear a little longer

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing about the name of the anemone. If it reflects the region it came from then it’s not a true hosting anemone. But I did also looked at some Helianthus photos and its tentacles do appear a little longer
Yeah, the tentacle length is what's throwing me off. (Then again, they could shortened due to stress). But the stripes are so prominent, like a Merten's. I would ask the vendor for pics of the verrucae, but IME, they don't response until after the anemone sells :(

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mertens is super easy to identify. Just look at the foot, if it’s a mertens you’ll see purple verracue the whole length of the foot
EC0600BE-5C5A-4D8F-9CF9-7FFF979864B9.jpeg

OP
OP
CoralsAddiction

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of true percs flat out rejected a pair of black ice clowns. I was hoping the black ice pair would go into the Mertensii while the percs stayed in the gig. After 10 mins of trying it was a clear fail.
My local petco has some Amphiprion akallopisos listed as orange skunks (Sandaracinos). I might try a single and see if it goes to Mertensii, its natural host in the wild.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gig came from them as well. As did all 3 of my tangs and a blue jaw trigger. Lol
IMG_4704.jpeg
Can I ask if those pink Zoos have a name? I have a massive colony of them but I don't know if they have a 'name' or not :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back