Is this Refugium light bleed bad for sleep and will it throw off PH if I use during day?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will light bleed interrupt sleep for fishes or inverts or cause unwanted algae growth? Would putting a mirror at the bottom of the tank help? It's just a 9 watt LED in a 14g Peninsula.

The other thing I was thinking of was just running the refugium with the normal lights during the day to avoid the problem but I was told this will throw off the PH. With how low the watts are and small refugium is, would it really affect PH that much?

0930200917b.jpg

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that light bleeding through? Is that a bare-bottom tank where the light is bouncing off whatever is below the tank and back in?

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that light bleeding through? Is that a bare-bottom tank where the light is bouncing off whatever is below the tank and back in?

Yes that's perfectly accurate. I was watching a random video of melevreefs and he was using some type of black board from Michaels hobby supply store to black out areas of his refugium. Although he was using that for a sump not an AIO so totally different. Ideally something dense enough that wouldn't require reefglue or just a dot of it.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get black acrylic pretty cheaply from Amazon. I used it for a light-block in a sump.

Just be careful that whatever goes under your tank needs to be 'safe' getting wet.

Overall, I don't think its an issue. More of an annoyance than anything.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back