pH day to night swings in Nano - Refugium

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small ~8 gal water volume sps tank that i recently installed a controller on. I’ve been monitoring pH and noticed significant swings between day and night. I know swings are expect but the range is pretty significant - approximately 1 ph or more over the course of a day. I think it would be neat to add a refugium using something like the PhytoTank Macroalgae Chaeto Reactor. I know adding chaeto can bring its own challenges like nutrient stability especially in such a small tank (dropping everything to zero pretty quick). But what I don’t know is how pH reacts to chaeto. I would like to boost pH at night but I wasn’t quite sure what will happen during the day. Will pH swing the same amount but even higher with a refugium? Right now the max I get during the day with the lights on is roughly 8.6. The low at night is ~7.6.
Also, I’m sure it’ll come up about not chasing numbers. Everything is healthy and growing but I’d just like to understand what a refugium would do becuase I plan on having a much larger tank in the future. If I get a refugium and raise the ph at night will the tank then all of a sudden reach a ph of 9 with the lights on?

IMG_7077.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gk5321

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this tank aerated? It seems deficient.
I wrote this as a bit of a rant, sorry. I should’ve explained more. I have pretty significant surface flow and a skimmer that comes on at night triggered when the pH probe hits 7.95. I tried to DIY a CO2 scrubber but it didn’t want to work correctly. I kind of gave up on the idea before I fully vetted it so I may try that before I go with a refugium or kalkwasser. I use a reefglass nano skimmer and the air pump I’m using refused to push air through the scrubber I made (glass mason jar with an inlet and outlet in the lid). I don’t think it was a flow restriction issue I just think the air pump I have sucks. I’m going to try a new one and see how that goes. I wouldn’t mind doing kalkwasser I’m just a bit nervous about it because I’ve never used it before and the tank is very small so things can fluctuate pretty quickly if I’m not very careful.

OP
OP
Gk5321

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank by the way. I forgot to mention it’s outfitted with equipment as if it’s 100 gallons or more
72092298703__6204944E-CC01-4F2F-9FB2-7AB1D58A5444.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back