Is this rubbermaid trash can reef safe?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2019
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,049
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I grabbed this trash can for rodi storage today because I noticed it is hdpe plastic which i understand to be food grade. Would this be safe to use for storing rodi or a small amount of salt water? The capacity is 32gal but i only intend on using 15 gallons at a time to keep it easy to move. My only concern is if there is possibility there are chemicals in the plastic that could cause harm to my corals. Has anyone used these with good luck?

20200903_143328.jpg
 
This should be fine. Technically I believe the colorant used is not food safe, at least I know the colorant in the stock tanks is not food safe. That said, People have been using those for sumps for a long time and one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen used a RM stock tank. Can't know for sure on this product but I'd use it.
 
Is it the one with 2 wheels on one side? If so, I'd spend a little more and go with the Brute with the attachable casters. MUCH safer to transport.
What's also true is everyone seems to use brute trash cans so you have evidence of safe use but again I am nearly sure it does not matter, good call on the casters, there's a reason to go brute!
 
Is it the one with 2 wheels on one side? If so, I'd spend a little more and go with the Brute with the attachable casters. MUCH safer to transport.
It is the one with 2 wheels but i don't plan on moving it or filling it all the way
 
Would a decent test of safety be to fill it with 0 tds rodi and let it see then retest tds
 
Agree on Brute - Food grade material and worth the extra couple of dollars
 
Put your trash in the brown one. It’s not nearly as strong as the brute version. Get the real thing and sleep sound. I believe the cheaper one has a seam. Don’t trust it except for trash.
 
Put your trash in the brown one. It’s not nearly as strong as the brute version. Get the real thing and sleep sound. I believe the cheaper one has a seam. Don’t trust it except for trash.
Yeah I've decided to let my wife make compost in this and ill buy a brute
 
Its going to be fine in terms of "not kill everything", but its not going to be fine "long term filled with water and not cracking apart" standpoint.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new