Is this rubbermaid trash can reef safe?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I grabbed this trash can for rodi storage today because I noticed it is hdpe plastic which i understand to be food grade. Would this be safe to use for storing rodi or a small amount of salt water? The capacity is 32gal but i only intend on using 15 gallons at a time to keep it easy to move. My only concern is if there is possibility there are chemicals in the plastic that could cause harm to my corals. Has anyone used these with good luck?

20200903_143328.jpg

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be fine. Technically I believe the colorant used is not food safe, at least I know the colorant in the stock tanks is not food safe. That said, People have been using those for sumps for a long time and one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen used a RM stock tank. Can't know for sure on this product but I'd use it.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the one with 2 wheels on one side? If so, I'd spend a little more and go with the Brute with the attachable casters. MUCH safer to transport.
What's also true is everyone seems to use brute trash cans so you have evidence of safe use but again I am nearly sure it does not matter, good call on the casters, there's a reason to go brute!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on Brute - Food grade material and worth the extra couple of dollars

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your trash in the brown one. It’s not nearly as strong as the brute version. Get the real thing and sleep sound. I believe the cheaper one has a seam. Don’t trust it except for trash.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be fine in terms of "not kill everything", but its not going to be fine "long term filled with water and not cracking apart" standpoint.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back