Is this safe

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fireman, and was an electrician for years prior. I can honestly say I've never seen a panel in a bathroom in all my days. That being said, I wouldnt worry too much about it if it is a temporary residence. Just keep an eye on the condition of bus bars inside and breakers.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fireman, and was an electrician for years prior. I can honestly say I've never seen a panel in a bathroom in all my days. That being said, I wouldnt worry too much about it if it is a temporary residence. Just keep an eye on the condition of bus bars inside and breakers.
yea, but I feel that I really need to make sure that it is safe not only for my daughter but the other college kids that live there. And the future kids.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
City says they have plans, a permit, and have been assigned an inspector that is over seeing it. I then asked to have this info. reviewed by a senior inspector 'cause a breaker box in the bathroom doesnt meet NEC. They agree and will review plans to see what is going on.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning Dept. decided that since the apartment community was trying to make so many units safer, they would "bend-over" and not make them move any box location.

That is really surprising given the fact that it is against national code and, more importantly, putting whoever lives there in a risky and dangerous environment. This sort of thing really ticks me off! (I'd normally use stronger language but this is supposed to be a "family friendly" site.)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to go above them if you feel unsafe. It’s a National Code violation, and a major one.
There may be no going above them. One of the other parts of the National Electrical Code is it is enforced by the "authority having jurisdiction"
If that authority determined its ok...then they can bend the rules.
I wouldnt want to be that planning office when a drunk college kid tries to flip a breaker from the bathtub and gets electrocuted!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be no going above them. One of the other parts of the National Electrical Code is it is enforced by the "authority having jurisdiction"
If that authority determined its ok...then they can bend the rules.
I wouldnt want to be that planning office when a drunk college kid tries to flip a breaker from the bathtub and gets electrocuted!

One would suspect doing this may leave them open to big lawsuit should anyone get injured/killed. I, for one, would not allow anyone I loved to live there. While they may not get harmed, it's simply not worth the risk. Additionally, it causes me to wonder where else they cut corners.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cringed when the letter said electricians and their own maintenance men were doing the panel changes. When I worked a stint on a service truck on call, most bad issues I ran into were caused by well meaning but poorly trained 'maintenance men" attempting electrical work in different places.
Here in PA unless you are in select cities and surrounding areas they dont even require a license to do electrical work. But they do require a license to cut hair...figure that one out.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The state electrical inspector has jurisdiction of the town/city inspectors, call them and put an inquiry.
No way in hell would my kid be staying there long term and I would be contacting other parents with kids in that complex.
Being an electrician for a living if I arrived on that job and was told we’re replacing a panel and keeping them in the bathrooms there would either be a “plan b” or I’m packing up and leaving.
No electrician that values their license or has a conscience would do that work and be ok with it.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the senior inspector:
Good morning. I spoke with contractor this morning and we will not be finalling any permits until the trimwork is installed. The code requires that the enclosure be a min 1/8 inch to finished wall, etc. It appears as though your daughters panel has not been completed yet. I have been informed that all of the panels are separated from the showers by doorways.

I dont know what they mean "separated" by door ways - hers is not

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the senior inspector:
Good morning. I spoke with contractor this morning and we will not be finalling any permits until the trimwork is installed. The code requires that the enclosure be a min 1/8 inch to finished wall, etc. It appears as though your daughters panel has not been completed yet. I have been informed that all of the panels are separated from the showers by doorways.

I dont know what they mean "separated" by door ways - hers is not
Inform him that it is not separated by a doorway.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did and also sent him this:

And even if other electric panels are separated from the shower by a doorway, doesnt electric code designate any room with a toilet and a sink as a bathroom?Regardless if there's a shower

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One would suspect doing this may leave them open to big lawsuit should anyone get injured/killed. I, for one, would not allow anyone I loved to live there. While they may not get harmed, it's simply not worth the risk. Additionally, it causes me to wonder where else they cut corners.
You would be unable to sue them. They are protected under "Sovereign immunity"

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
try the state?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back