is this sump size big enough ?

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200G Marineland tank that Im building and I see this sump for sale. Its a eshopps sump 30L x 12w x 16h. Comes out to just about 25 gallons. Thoughts before I say yes or no

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200G Marineland tank that Im building and I see this sump for sale. Its a eshopps sump 30L x 12w x 16h. Comes out to just about 25 gallons. Thoughts before I say yes or no
In my honest opinion, for a 200 gallon tank you're going to end up wanting bigger. Why not scoop up a 40 gallon breeder and make a sump? They're on sale at petco almost all the time, and there are sump baffle kits ir you can make your own :) I just feel that the 12" width is going to come back to haunt you later on when adding your equipment that can handle that water volume.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the largest you can afford or fit. You'll be kicking yourself later if equipment you want won't fit.

A 40 breeder would give more room, and is easily modifiable to make a sump.

Even if you went with some large rubbermaid totes, it would probably work out better than the sump you posted. And it's simply a matter of having room.

I have a 40 long as a sump (got it the setup for free, so I used it) and the lack of room is terrible. The only reason I don't replace it.... I can't get the tank out of the stand. It was put in the stand before the tank was put on top.

OP
OP
Bob Weigant

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. That’s how I was feeling about the size. I don’t want to just get by, I want it to be more than enough.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. That’s how I was feeling about the size. I don’t want to just get by, I want it to be more than enough.

I have a 180 and went with a Trigger 39 Sapphire. It holds 40 gallons when filled. My brother has a 210-220 tank and went with the Icecap 36 sump, the XL is too wide for the stand. After seeing the way he set it up, I would've gone with the Icecap.

The Icecap has a HUGE area for a skimmer, no fuge section, but a built-in ato area. He dremelled out 2 big rectangular boxes into the ato part and uses it as a passive fuge. So he was able to get a bigger skimmer into his sump than I (with the external pump, where I need a space saving size), and he also has the fuge now.

The Icecap is also cheaper than the Trigger.

Back